Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
lavander
s. scotland
lavander is female  lavander has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2013, 10:01 AM

Re: Any wine buffs here ?

I've had some really nice wines from the supermarkets....for around £4.....there's always some reduced from say...£7 ...so i take advantage when they're there...
Markey
Kent, UK
Markey is female  Markey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2013, 12:07 PM

I agree.
I also watch out for the times when they have a less 25% special on all the wine and try and get in a good stock.
lavander
s. scotland
lavander is female  lavander has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2013, 03:30 PM

good idea....grab a bargain when you can.....nice to stock up for xmas......
lowfiron
Ojai, CA, USA
lowfiron is male  lowfiron has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2013, 05:47 PM

It's the way to go, but try and have a bottle first unless you are familiar with it.
lavander
s. scotland

08-09-2013, 07:03 PM

always do that.....just in case.....we got a present of a box of wine a couple of years ago,,,,they were from virgin....a friend gave us them....every wine was excellent...a mix of red and white...and all from different countries...there was a booklet with them and all the prices were on it ...some were quite expensive......if you were buying them separately....very enjoyable...
lowfiron
Ojai, CA, USA
lowfiron is male  lowfiron has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2013, 07:23 PM

They sell boxes of wine here!
You stick them in the reefer and it has a tapper to pour your wine with! 'Box Wine.'
Talk about "bad wine", I have a friend who's cousin owns San Antonio Winery in downtown Los Angeles. They make jug wines (they make 'fine' wines too) and he always has a jug of red in the kitchen broom closet. Not too bad tho.
There's Carlo Rossi's Red Mountain or Pisano Red jug wine. We used to drink that way back when at the beach at night around a camp fire.
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2013, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by lowfiron ->
They sell boxes of wine here!
You stick them in the reefer and it has a tapper to pour your wine with! 'Box Wine.'
Talk about "bad wine", I have a friend who's cousin owns San Antonio Winery in downtown Los Angeles. They make jug wines (they make 'fine' wines too) and he always has a jug of red in the kitchen broom closet. Not too bad tho.
There's Carlo Rossi's Red Mountain or Pisano Red jug wine. We used to drink that way back when at the beach at night around a camp fire.
Nothing wrong with the box wines.. I agree.. Very reasonable and quite good. The brands Franzia and Almaden are good.. I enjoy the Chillable Red and the Crisp White.. Not fancy but enjoyable.

There is also a brand of bottled wine that is quite inexpensive and very good.. It's called Liberty Creek. I enjoy the Sweet Red, but they make all the varieties.. and uncer $8 A bottle.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2013, 08:47 PM

I am not a wine connoisseur by a long ways. The nicest wine I have drunk I reckon was from a keg of the stuff I knocked up from a home brew kit. Only problem being with it was the kick. It always made me feel like going out to the pub straight after too but by then the damage had been done. On one occasion I got picked up and thrown on to a pool table for being so obnoxious, which effectively knocked me out as my head came down hard on the wooden surround. Those were the days .
Sandi
Adelaide, South Australia
Sandi is female  Sandi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2013, 12:44 PM

We in Adelaide are fortunately in the middle of the wine growing districts.
Half an hour north or south and there's wineries galore. We live close to the Barossa Valley, Clare Valley, McLaren Vale and Coonawarra where all the great reds come from. Lot of boutique wineries that only sell through the cellar door. We often go around on a Sunday afternoon in summer, testing all the new wines out and having meals sitting in the garden.

Once you get to know the wines you like and which winery they come from you can buy what are called "cleanskins" (no labels) Really great wines at a reduced price (sometimes half the cost of the labeled wines).
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2013, 01:04 PM

The problem I have found with many of the winery wines around here is that they taste too darn good.. and are expensive.. AND they go down like soda Pop.. So they don't last very long in our house. I'm not spending $20 or more a bottle for 4 glasses of wine..

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top