Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2014, 10:16 AM

Phlox & Delphinium pests?

My wife's just discovered that her newly purchased Phlox paniculatas and our established Delphiniums seem to be getting "munched" by something to the point where there's no top growth left!

Never had a problem like this with Delphiniums before but these Phlox are a recent purchase and they are not close to each other either.

My wife's getting quite upset about it now.

She's out there finding more plants damaged - it's a nightmare because we've no idea what's doing this so it's hard to know what measures to take!

Any ideas? stevmk2
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2014, 11:06 AM

Re: Phlox & Delphinium pests?

Could be earwigs or slugs.
I think it will mean a night time raid with a torch!
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2014, 11:21 AM

I would try spraying them with washing up liquid diluted in water, it works well on greenfly and aphids and doesn't harm your plants
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2014, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Honey ->
I would try spraying them with washing up liquid diluted in water, it works well on greenfly and aphids and doesn't harm your plants
Don't forget to add garlic to the mixture Honey
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2014, 11:48 AM

oh 'eck!
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2014, 01:14 PM

My phlox have had simalar attack ,i put slug pellets down and also looked under leaves picking off some small snails ..they have since recovered but now marigolds are being eaton away .
lilac
West yorks uk
lilac is female  lilac has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2014, 02:29 PM

I have tried to grow potatoes in wooden planters..I am not a gardener but I try..my mother could take a dead stick..plant it..and it would bloom..

However..my last years potatoes were rubbish..when I turned them out..the soil was literally writhing with wood lice...
Gabi
Lancs,.
Gabi is female  Gabi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2014, 06:32 PM

Steve our phlox has flowered and gone now, it is a big one that blooms every year.
Here's a link that maybe of help...

http://touch.organicauthority.com/or...7b5670b37976/1
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2014, 05:07 PM

Going around with a torch late last night and we found the culprits, our garden seem to be infested with slugs and snails!
Over the years we've never really had any problems before so we didn't think of that at first but we put down slug pellets last night after finding that lot!

We had a hedgehog family resident in our garden, (sometimes next door), for many years so we didn't want to hurt them but there's been no signs of them at all since our other next door neighbour got in a so-called gardener who promptly wrecked the place!

Looks like the Somme now............

They're paying this person too!

I grow Taters too, but in the ground and in heavy duty green bags lilac, with no problems from woodlice - and we've got thousands too. stevmk2
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK

09-06-2014, 07:44 PM

I'm glad the torch trick worked Steve.
Our hedgehog family got bitten by a fox, so our vet thinks, he had to put them all down

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top