Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2019, 09:44 PM

The problems I’ve encountered with cashmere garments

Ladies , do your cashmere jumpers and cardigans stretch,go baggy ? I have five and seriously it’s annoying me .
Does anyone know if you can shrink them back to the size they were when you bought them ?
As an aside do you hand or machine wash ?
Ought I to treat them to a hot wash instead of warm then spin them dizzy instead of lying them flat ?
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2019, 10:24 PM

Re: The problems I’ve encountered with cashmere garments

I don't like the feel of cashmere it makes me itch like blazes.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2019, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
I don't like the feel of cashmere it makes me itch like blazes.
Same here, Roxy & wool too.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2019, 11:00 PM

Hi Z I have a number of Cashmere items including a scarf and jumpers and they keep their shape ( I buy small size new men's Cashmere jumpers on eBay leftover stock I think ).

I hand wash them, rinse in fabric softer then squeeze out excess water without twisting the garment.
Next I lay a large thick towel on the work surface, spread the garment out then roll up the towel in a sausage shape. Squeeze and pat the towel and leave for a while. When you unroll the towel most of the water will be have been absorbed leaving the garment damp and in the correct shape.
I finish drying the garment on a clothes horse then iron it using a damp linen tea towel.

I have had some of my garments for years.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2019, 11:07 PM

Roll Necks were the last fashion dilemma, now it's baggy jumpers, just buy multiples and wear them just once, not environmental but it is impossible to cater for everything.
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2019, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Hi Z I have a number of Cashmere items including a scarf and jumpers and they keep their shape ( I buy small size new men's Cashmere jumpers on eBay leftover stock I think ).

I hand wash them, rinse in fabric softer then squeeze out excess water without twisting the garment.
Next I lay a large thick towel on the work surface, spread the garment out then roll up the towel in a sausage shape. Squeeze and pat the towel and leave for a while. When you unroll the towel most of the water will be have been absorbed leaving the garment damp and in the correct shape.
I finish drying the garment on a clothes horse then iron it using a damp linen tea towel.

I have had some of my garments for years.
Meg that reads like an instruction leaflet ,thankyou .
So no problems for you ?
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2019, 11:58 PM

Zuleika, l have a top that is a mixture of Cashmere and Cotton and was made by Calvin Klein Jeans company.

I love it but it has grown in size, so l wear it only in the house, usually when l’m doing my hair after l’ve washed it, or after a bath. It has the most wonderful, soft luxury feel.

I now put it in a pillow case if l wash it on ‘Hand Wash’ in the washing machine or l wash it by hand. It gets holes in it very easily but l just sew them up as l love it so much.

I am resigned to the fact, it will never shrink or get smaller.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2019, 09:33 AM

I belong to the Cashmere itchy brigade too...
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2019, 10:09 AM

I am amazed so many people say Cashmere makes them itch, is widely used in baby garments .

Angora is known to make people itch and I can't wear it but Cashmere is fine .
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2019, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I am amazed so many people say Cashmere makes them itch, is widely used in baby garments .

Angora is known to make people itch and I can't wear it but Cashmere is fine .
Meg, Many years ago l knitted myself an Angora jumper, it was lovely.....for half an hour and then l had to throw it off! It itched me, it made my nose bunged up. It was such a shame as it was a lovely jumper.

I have not experienced the same with my cashmere top. It’s so wuddly and comfy to wear.

‘Wuddly’ is my pet made up word for comfy things!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top