Join for free
Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >
WholeLottaRosie
derbyshire
WholeLottaRosie is female  WholeLottaRosie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2016, 11:13 PM

Re: Foreign Workers

The brits have to comply with a whole host of rules, government bodies and health and safety regulations in order to be in business, a householder should check that their builder carries the relevant public liability ins also, which can run into thousands per year, the plumber, joiner, brickie could face prosecution if they do not comply and to be quite honest they cannot afford not to, it's their livelihood, they cannot go back home if they get it wrong.

Most government bodies demand that they are members of certain organizations before they will get work i.e. Constructionline etc , they are then reviewed and scored on their work, there is a mountain of bureaucracy to be complied with and it all comes at a high cost.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2016, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
Yes, I can state that with confidence.
Well you are obviously so better informed than me.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2016, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
The biggest mistake this country made was when we started sending all our young people to university taking 'media studies' or some such waste of time. Now it's considered a write of passage. I don't know many ex students who actually got jobs related to their university qualifications.

We had an English bloke do our bathroom, absolutely brilliant would recommend him unreservedly, but it cost us.
Peace of mind isn't cheap, but worth every penny.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2016, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
The biggest mistake this country made was when we started sending all our young people to university taking 'media studies' or some such waste of time. Now it's considered a write of passage. I don't know many ex students who actually got jobs related to their university qualifications.

We had an English bloke do our bathroom, absolutely brilliant would recommend him unreservedly, but it cost us.
No OGF, sending the Kids to university meant they were funding their own Dole Money, in the shape of Student Loans, but what a whammy, most astute kids will make sure they stay a quid or so below the repayment threshold.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2016, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
Explain why my reply deserves sarcasm, please.
Also enlighten me as to your experiences.

Hit and run posting doesn't explain your position on such matters.
gasman
Kent, UK
gasman is male  gasman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2016, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
Stating the obvious there
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2016, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by deylon ->
then came the Electrician,
And you of course checked his qualifications didn't you, and of course you have received the safety certificate, and you will not moan if something goes wrong in years from now because they used sub standard cables or cheap electrical fittings.

You did all of this so there's nowt to worry about, if you didn't I wonder how you sleep at night knowing that a cable has been terminated the way they do it in Poland which is not as safe as in UK.

Edit:-
Just one example of the lack of safety in Polish (In fact all European cabling) is the way the wires are terminated in a fitting, definately dodgy in my view.
gasman
Kent, UK
gasman is male  gasman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2016, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by Losos ->
And you of course checked his qualifications didn't you, and of course you have received the safety certificate, and you will not moan if something goes wrong in years from now because they used sub standard cables or cheap electrical fittings.

You did all of this so there's nowt to worry about, if you didn't I wonder how you sleep at night knowing that a cable has been terminated the way they do it in Poland which is not as safe as in UK.

Edit:-
Just one example of the lack of safety in Polish (In fact all European cabling) is the way the wires are terminated in a fitting, definately dodgy in my view.
Great reply
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK

28-02-2016, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by gasman ->
Great reply
For sure.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2016, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
Explain why my reply deserves sarcasm, please.
Also enlighten me as to your experiences.

Hit and run posting doesn't explain your position on such matters.
50 years experience does help though don't you think?

Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top