Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-02-2016, 09:51 AM

Re: How about the government suing the builders???

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
What's the betting that the builders were Taylor-Woodrow - a benefactor to the scumbag 'nasty party'.
I seem to remember that in 2001 when the building was erected we were 4 years into a Labour government, so even you are struggling with that link...
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-02-2016, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by galty ->
Depends.. if it was a new build then down to the Architects.
I'm puzzled as ours was a new build too and the council who owned the building made the builders come back and put it right.
WholeLottaRosie
derbyshire
WholeLottaRosie is female  WholeLottaRosie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-02-2016, 09:59 AM

It sounds like a design fault, and what do they mean by confidentiality agreements?

"The architects refused to explain why problems persist in the building - which has attracted controversy in the past - citing “confidentiality agreements”.

A House of Commons spokesman said the glass had been reinforced in order to ensure MPs' safety “while a permanent solution is identified”.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/londo...s-9580903.html
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-02-2016, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I'm puzzled as ours was a new build too and the council who owned the building made the builders come back and put it right.
Yes but the question is who paid.

If the Architects(council) specified the windows it's down to them to pay for the replacements.

If they were badly fitted that should have been found out on the snagging and rectified
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-02-2016, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by galty ->
Yes but the question is who paid.

If the Architects(council) specified the windows it's down to them to pay for the replacements.

If they were badly fitted that should have been found out on the snagging and rectified
Ours were badly fitted, they couldn't open as they caught on the trim, we initially complained when we moved in took them 5 years to accept it was a problem. Apparently opening windows are optional
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-02-2016, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
What's the betting that the builders were Taylor-Woodrow - a benefactor to the scumbag 'nasty party'.
Hi

The entire history of Portculis House is mired in controversy.

There was a important Court case which exposed some of the shenanigans .

http://www.building.co.uk/why-harmon...e/6338.article

We complain about the EU wasting money on MEPs, but we are worse.

The total cost of the building included £200,000 for fig trees, which were rented and the cost is now more than £400,000.

The total cost per MP was £1.2 million, which is ludicrous, but then it is our money they are spending, not their own.

A complete waste of money.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-02-2016, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Ours were badly fitted, they couldn't open as they caught on the trim, we initially complained when we moved in took them 5 years to accept it was a problem. Apparently opening windows are optional
You asked the builders to supply and fit windows, if they fitted them wrongly then it's down to them, if the Windows were manufactured incorrectly then the builder would ask the suppliers to re-manufacture.

If you had bought the windows and asked a builder to fit them and 2 years later the seals failed who's fault would that be?
Certainly not the builders/fitters.

In this case the builders work to plan, they are given instructions. They fit what they're told to fit and the details are down to architects and engineers who are qualified to detail such designs.

For instance: you phone me to quote for a knock-through lounge/dining room, you have got the plans and calcs drawn up by an engineer stating what size I-beam/RSJ is required to take the loads. I get the job and work to your plans but 2 years later you notice movement because the I-Beam isn't substantial enough, is that my fault?
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-02-2016, 08:34 PM

Fig trees ?
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-02-2016, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Fig trees ?
Hi

Yes

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...s-offices.html
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2016, 09:04 AM

Seems I was right after all:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a6914491.html

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top