Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2014, 06:46 PM

Steak Pie!

This week, for a change we thought we'd have a nice Steak Pie for Sunday and we bought what looked a really good one in ASDA on Thursday.

Admittedly, had we had advance warning we could have made our own but, unusually for us, we went by the picture and description on the packaging.

Big mistake!

Upper Crust, the name on the packaging, isn't a name I'd ever give this pie!

Rather than continue this rant, I'll just show you a copy of the email I've sent their Customer Relations: -

We decided on Friday that we would like a decent Steak Pie for our Sunday Dinner for a change so we bought your Upper Crust Deep Filled Steak Pie, after looking at the rather mouth-watering picture on the packaging.

Unfortunately, the picture and the actual pie itself have nothing whatsoever in common as the pie we had consisted of mainly pastry and what seemed to be a slightly lumpy gravy.

We actually threw almost half of it away as the cost of the gas to reheat that, maybe for a lunch for one, really was not worth considering!

I'm sorry but in the realms of Steak Pies, if this is the best that you can do may I tactfully suggest that you kick your Pastry Chef out of the nearest door and get someone who actually knows what a STEAK PIE should be?

Perhaps a quick bell to Mary Berry just might help you to see the error of yours ways here?

For your further information, the Best Before date on this "pie" was May 2015 (4121 15:27) and the Barcode was 5 391520 184918

We shall of course now avoid any Upper Crust products, and probably any Greenisle products too to avoid any further disappointment.

I must add here that I will be extremely surprised if I get a response from you!

What d'ya think?!! stevmk2
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2014, 06:51 PM

Re: Steak Pie!

Well steve - I have seen a couple of docus regarding 'taste testers' - money for old rope, that's what the food tastes like to me !
How they can say 'yummy' good enough to eat - is beyond me
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2014, 06:57 PM

My husband's first job when he left school was making chicken pies for farm fresh pies now let's just say he had a food problems before he worked there, but after he had been there a week his food habits really went out of control and he has never eaten anything not made at home since, when he tells me what went on there it put me off eating anything factory made too.

So I am not surprised by the standard just amazed you survived eating it !
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2014, 07:08 PM

The claims they make are ludicrous at times - should get one from M&S, may cost a bit more, although don't know the price of the one you bought, but at least there's meat in and they don't taste too bad.
Can't beat a homemade one though.

Will they reply.....probably send you a fiver - for a replacement!!
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2014, 10:18 PM

Contents never match the photos Steve. I always buy ready made meals (sometimes I just can't be bothered cooking from scratch and some of them are ok) but when you get it out of the box you think 'what the heck is this? Is this for someone who has lost their appetite?'

I used to buy the Morrisons Crispy Duck with 6 pancakes and hoi sin sauce. Very reasonably priced, but by the time you pick out the rolls of skin and fat from the meat, you are left with a fraction of it!

Good luck.
wishbone
south wales
wishbone is male  wishbone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2014, 11:04 PM

quote Stev

What d'ya think?!! stevmk2

I think you are making a mountain out of a molehill,nobody ever thinks
they are going to get what they see on the pack, if they do then they
are truly mistaken.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2014, 05:22 AM

Sheila makes all our own food from scratch...........and very good it is too !
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2014, 06:30 AM

You'll probably get a voucher or something and a standard apology if you're lucky. Suggesting they actually have a pastry chef is a laugh - more like a factory full of drones who watch a machine slop the goo into the pastry cases. Good letter though, but don't hold your breath.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2014, 10:58 AM

I very rarely buy ready meals. Having lived in my younger days not too far from a village where there was a chicken factory and talking to a buyer for Heinz one day, I have never touched canned chicken soup from that day to this. Also seeing almost every day the people who worked at this chicken factory, ( they used to stop the bus that fetched them at my auntīs little shop,) the smell of the workers you would not believe and knowing how the chickens, or hens, were treated would truly make you cry. Also watching TV documentaries on how they make these chicken nuggets, crab sticks, etc, actually made me feel ill, bones scraped and turned into a glutinous mass with a bit of colouring and flavouring thrown in before being shaped into whatever they were producing, absolutely disgusting. I donīt buy, or eat, as far as I am aware, tinned meat or frozen ready meals. I like to see what I am eating. I have only ever eaten one beefburger in my life, well tasted really, I donīt like the thought of any kind of compressed meats, I donīt know whatīs compressed in there with it. Am I a fussy eater? You bet your life I am.
Munchkin
Scotland
Munchkin is male  Munchkin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2014, 11:28 AM

Like the Newspapers, you get what you pay for type thing, I cant believe that you expected the contents to actually LOOK like the photo, far less TASTE like they say? Newspapers make a story look interesting to sell the paper, Manufacturers make their good's en masse, BUT the photo will take days of setting up to make the contents look the part, after all they would not sell much if they showed what you describe, I really find it surprising that you have even bothered complaining? as some say they may send you a voucher for a REPLACEMENT.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top