Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2016, 11:21 PM

Zika maybe its not the mosquitos

It may look as if its something that has been put into the water.

http://gmwatch.org/news/latest-news/...f-microcephaly
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2016, 11:34 PM

Re: Zika maybe its not the mosquitos

Compared to some of the theories of how its transmitted that sounds very very believable.
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2016, 12:12 PM

Very interesting. I wonder if there are any independent studies to corroborate the pressure group's findings?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2016, 01:30 PM

I think a lot more research is needed before there will be a definitive answer.
As Zika Virus has been around since the late 1940's it should be possible to look at previous outbreaks and to see if they equated with a rise in birth defects then if not what is different about this one eg the use of pesticides.

The latest report here ....
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-35543371

He said that data from the cases of two infants in Brazil who died soon after birth indicated the virus had passed from mother to child.
which doesn't rule out pesticides .
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2016, 01:59 PM

Your link was very interesting reading Muddy ...if it is due to this chemical treatment then it will be one helluva struggle to get it investigated properly I can imagine as if its proved to be the culprit ofc there will be claims flying left right and centre for all the harm its caused to these poor babies.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2016, 11:36 PM

I just heard on the news tonight that 30 other countries have now got this virus!
I don't yet understand it enough yet, but is it only dangerous to pregnant women?
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2016, 01:55 PM

Ive also read this reserch and it does seem as if the pesticide may have something to do with it..
WholeLottaRosie
derbyshire
WholeLottaRosie is female  WholeLottaRosie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2016, 08:20 PM

What I don't understand about this is, if the virus has been around since the 40's why has there suddenly only recently been a glut of birth defects, it doesn't make sense.

edit: sorry Meg just spotted your post
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2016, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by WholeLottaRosie ->
What I don't understand about this is, if the virus has been around since the 40's why has there suddenly only recently been a glut of birth defects, it doesn't make sense.

No problem Rosie I guess there could be a number of reasons for that for eg greater numbers of people affected in this outbreak/the virus has mutated/a combination of virus and pesticide / the virus is not the cause.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2016, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by WholeLottaRosie ->

Hi

Viruses mutate, a fact of life.

Think of the Flu Virus, around for years, mutates all the time, then suddenly one of the mutations starts killing people.

The Zika Virus has suddenly mutated, this may be because it was triggered by the use of this chemical, or it may be natural.

What is not in doubt is that it was not the use of this chemical on it's own which caused these problems, if that was the case, only those who had drunk the water would have been at risk.

This is obviously not the case.

Previously it was a very localised virus, it could only be contracted by mosquito bite.

This is no longer the case, viable, infective virus has been found in the semen of men weeks after they were infected and people are being infected without having been bitten by mosquitoes.

This is a very significant mutation.

Luckily it is exceptionally rare in Europe at the moment and strangely enough, there is still no definitive proof that it causes birth defects, just a very high probability that it does.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top