Join for free
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2017, 03:19 PM

Printer wont print

I hate computers
Now my printer wont print for no known reason
The cartridges are new and it goes through the motions but blank come out at the end of it.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2017, 03:22 PM

Re: Printer wont print

Snap ours has just died too, it will print from my iPad but the copying facility and any printing from my husband's laptop have stopped really annoying. I sympathise muddy.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2017, 03:32 PM

Have you just put a new cartridge in by any chance, Muddy?
I'm wondering if perhaps it's not quite clicked into place and that is what's causing the problem?
Otherwise, a plug has not come adrift that connects it to the computer has it?
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2017, 04:25 PM

Muddy, if you are getting blank pages then at least that means your computer is communicating with the printer ok. Sounds like you have a cartridge problem. Maybe the cartridge is dry, been in the shop too long etc. Dip some kitchen paper in hot water and gentle wipe the metal print head of the cartridge. Then run the new cartridge prep routine in your printer settings.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2017, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Snap ours has just died too, it will print from my iPad but the copying facility and any printing from my husband's laptop have stopped.
Julie, if you can print fine from your iPad but not your husbands laptop then that actually sound like a basic IP address issue.

I guess your printer is wireless and hooked up to your router. Any time you switch off the printer and leave dormant for more than 24 hours, or any time you switch off or reboot the router, you will find that the network assigns a new IP Address to it.

Your iPad and laptop will have the IP Address in their settings so any time that IP address gets changed, you lose the ability to print from your device.

It is easily recitified.

First you need to find out what IP Address has been assigned to the printer. Usually you can use the actual panel on the printer itself and scroll through its options to find the IP address which will be something like 168.192.0.5 etc.

If you can't find it there, then since your iPad IS working, go into the printer settings there and look for the IP Address. In Windows it's found in the Ports tab of the printer settings.
I have no idea what the settings on an iPad look like.

Once you have determined the IP Address that has been used for the printer, you now need to get that put into your husbands latop.

Assuming he is running windows,

1. Go into Devices and Printers
2. RIGHT click on the printer icon
3. Select "Printer Properties"

N.B. Do NOT select "properties" which is at the bottom

4. In the settings window that pops up, select the Ports tab

5. One of the lines there will likely already be highlighted, the one for your printer.

6. Click Configure Port button

7. Correct the IP Address shown so it matches the proper IP Address of your printer

Save everything and try printing.

Should hopefully work.

GL
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2017, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Muddy, if you are getting blank pages then at least that means your computer is communicating with the printer ok. Sounds like you have a cartridge problem. Maybe the cartridge is dry, been in the shop too long etc. Dip some kitchen paper in hot water and gentle wipe the metal print head of the cartridge. Then run the new cartridge prep routine in your printer settings.
It wasn't communicating at first so re set up the set up.
Then replaced cartridge with new one and its working now.
Thank you for the hint though i will remember that one.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top