Join for free
Page 6 of 7 « First < 4 5 6 7 >
toners
Cheshire
toners is male  toners has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2020, 08:35 PM

Re: June Snapshot Competition

Originally Posted by d00d ->
There's a number of keen toggers who don't participate, don't approve of the rules ... the "unedited" bit.
I don't think Barry forensically analyses the photos. Perhaps 'cut and paste' and added optical effects may be too much but I think most people would just add a photo just touched up.
I agree though- if more 'toggers' get involved the better. Ideas- perspectives-- images- the more the better.
I really enjoy seeing the creative work from people on this forum. I enjoy the responses to the 'Challenges' especially.
My respects Barry for carrying on with the Snapshot Challenge.
Thank you.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2020, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
There's a number of keen toggers who don't participate, don't approve of the rules ... the "unedited" bit.
Originally Posted by toners ->
I don't think Barry forensically analyses the photos. Perhaps 'cut and paste' and added optical effects may be too much but I think most people would just add a photo just touched up.
I agree though- if more 'toggers' get involved the better. Ideas- perspectives-- images- the more the better.
I really enjoy seeing the creative work from people on this forum. I enjoy the responses to the 'Challenges' especially.
My respects Barry for carrying on with the Snapshot Challenge.
Thank you.
I do get so tired of saying this, but here we go just in case anyone is not clear ...

This competition is primarily for people, like myself, who like to take a photograph but have no further interest or expertise to change the image taken, so that the image stands or falls on it's own merits in it's raw state.

I will make the point that I have no expertise to examine the entries so the whole competition is run on trust but there is no restriction as to who can enter the comp as long as they can meet the criteria of the rules.

Alternatively of course, there is absolutely no reason why those that absolutely have to post edit their snaps shouldn't start their own competition for that class of photograph if they so desire. Indeed, I'm amazed that the post editors amongst you should even want to compete against such lowly opposition as us snap and goers...
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2020, 10:49 AM

You can all tweak your photos as much as you like on The Challenges, the main reason for them not being a competition is that I don't want a pedantic element or equipment snobbery to creep in that you get on some photgraphic forums.
Also I wouldn't have a clue how to do it!

Well done Barry!
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2020, 11:05 AM

Just to mention Barry that the photos I take have a file size of 76 MB . To be able to post they have to be edited down to something like 19 MB.

Can I just point out the following please

so what actually is "a snapshot"? which is a vague description.

for some it is quickly taking a photo on the spur of the moment.

For others it means taking the best photo one can by taking a little time to consider composition -lighting- subject matter etc.

A snap is recording a situation at the time taken no matter how it was taken

where is gets confusing a camera can be set up in many different ways such as fisheye- colour sketch etc,let alone filter effects-colour balance.
Whichever setting used the photo can still be a "snapshot" .

for example
The camera set to fisheye and black and white can produce this

And still be a snapshot of trees. So is this still allowed? let alone which lens is used be it ultra wide angle or extreme telephoto.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2020, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Just to mention Barry that the photos I take have a file size of 76 MB . To be able to post they have to be edited down to something like 19 MB.

so what actually is "a snapshot"? which is a vague description.

for some it is quickly taking a photo on the spur of the moment.

For others it means taking the best photo one can by taking a little time to consider composition -lighting- subject matter etc.

A snap is recording a situation at the time taken no matter how it was taken

where is gets confusing a camera can be set up in many different ways such as fisheye- colour sketch etc,let alone filter effects-colour balance.
Whichever setting used the photo can still be a "snapshot" .

for example
The camera set to fisheye and black and white can produce this

And still be a snapshot of trees. So is this still allowed?
The answer is simple Realspeed, if you don't want to enter into the spirit of this amateur snapshot competition then don't enter it, and alternatively if you are in doubt of the validity of a particular photo then don't enter it.

But I must ask once again and for the umpteenth time, why in earth don't you start a competition of your own where you can mess about with your photos to your heart's content, instead of continually trying to change the rules of this one?
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2020, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
The answer is simple Realspeed, if you don't want to enter into the spirit of this amateur snapshot competition then don't enter it, and alternatively if you are in doubt of the validity of a particular photo then don't enter it.

But I must ask once again and for the umpteenth time, why in earth don't you start a competition of your own where you can mess about with your photos to your heart's content, instead of continually trying to change the rules of this one?
Barry
With all due respect a little understanding about photography the equipment available and it capabilities is useful
Long gone are the days of just point and shoot, as in the old days of film cameras, even these cheap digital camera have the capability of producing different effects.
I am not trying to change any rules but asking for more clarification on what is and is not allowed.

for example is one allowed to set up a camera to produce a photo such as my example or not.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2020, 11:55 AM

Let's not get into it all again, the competition is fine, lovely photos from all who enter.
If folk want to come over to the "Darkside" and fiddle they can. They don't need to be experts.
Both are just for fun, no big prizes, lovely to see!
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts

21-06-2020, 11:56 AM

Barry
With all due respect a little understanding about photography the equipment available and it capabilities is useful
Long gone are the days of just point and shoot, as in the old days of film cameras, even these cheap digital camera have the capability of producing different effects.
I am not trying to change any rules but asking for more clarification on what is and is not allowed.

for example is one allowed to set up a camera to produce a photo such as my example or not.
Once again Realspeed, and as I said just a few minutes ago, if in doubt then just don't enter it!
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2020, 12:02 PM

Barry

I back Barry up on this, RS ..... it doesn't sound like this competition is the one for you if you have to continuously question it. Maybe you yourself could start your own photo competition for the more experienced members or enter competitions on the Photographic Forums?

Barry's rules couldn't be simpler.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

21-06-2020, 12:23 PM

Please withdraw my photos then as the competition does not be precise enough in the rules and my question politely asked is ignored

Page 6 of 7 « First < 4 5 6 7 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top