Join for free
Page 5 of 9 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2021, 01:51 PM

Re: Homelessness

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
Very sad that the drink and drugs have possessed them, but yes it is their choice.

I remember watching a documentary about a mother of three, who preferred living on the street ,I believe her mother was bringing her children up.

She could have gone home at any time, she was a drug addict, she ended up dying on that street.

How drugs and drink can ravage and take over a persons life...once in too deep.

Extremely sad and devastating for the families, because I believe it ruins their life also.
Very sad and there are thousands and thousands of others just like her.

Getting the dangers of drug abuse into the heads of kids and making sure they understand needs to be a top priority. The same with alcohol, people never realise they will have a problem with it until its too late.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2021, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
Very sad and there are thousands and thousands of others just like her.

Getting the dangers of drug abuse into the heads of kids and making sure they understand needs to be a top priority. The same with alcohol, people never realise they will have a problem with it until its too late.

Indeed Bread....absolutely it should be a “ Top Priority “....well said!!

Do they teach this in schools about such dangers?
DianneWoollie
Deux Sevres. S W France
DianneWoollie is female  DianneWoollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2021, 02:12 PM

I have also been aware of people ending up living rough.

Because of there home lives that went so badly wrong..many reason's for that happening and some people literally have no where to go.mind troubled through the tramas of home.....They then turn to cheap alcohol sometimes....
Danny
Denver, CO
Danny is male  Danny has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2021, 02:14 PM

I worked in the Non-Profit industry most of my adult life. I personally know that there are scores of reasons people find themselves in that position. Saying that homelessness is a choice, is completely wrong. Homelessness is the absence of choice. They are tied up in getting through one day, go here for a shower(only at certain times) go here for a meal (only at certain times), etc. Most of the homeless I met in the 20 years I worked Non-Profit, had absolutely no one to turn to i.e. family or friends.
Hopefully you never find yourself in a position where you're standing there with all your worldly possession on your back and only society to look for to get help. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.
PS I never met anyone who said they wanted to be homeless when they grew up.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2021, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Danny ->
I worked in the Non-Profit industry most of my adult life. I personally know that there are scores of reasons people find themselves in that position. Saying that homelessness is a choice, is completely wrong. Homelessness is the absence of choice. They are tied up in getting through one day, go here for a shower(only at certain times) go here for a meal (only at certain times), etc. Most of the homeless I met in the 20 years I worked Non-Profit, had absolutely no one to turn to i.e. family or friends.
Hopefully you never find yourself in a position where you're standing there with all your worldly possession on your back and only society to look for to get help. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.
PS I never met anyone who said they wanted to be homeless when they grew up.
In the UK homelessness, REAL homelessness and living rough really is a choice.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2021, 02:37 PM

Hey Danny. You sound like a very decent and kind man. Its good that you are here as a voice of reason. Needless to say i respect your opnion and agree totally. I love the last sentence. Says it all really. Single mothers used to be treated the same way. Regardless of what their circumstances were. And the unemployed. Just a juggernaught of judgement from very ordinary people who know very little and who are quite comfortable in their ignorance. They are the first ones who will claim they know best. It has a name. The Dunning Kruger effect. It just is nota always just about drugs. And who are the king pins behind the drug problems,?...You wont find them living on the street. More like in a mansion in Mayfair, Malibu or Vaucluse.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2021, 02:41 PM

Unfortunately all of us judge.at some point in our lives...so we’re all guilty of that.

We all fall short at times.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2021, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
Unfortunately all of us judge.at some point in our lives...so we’re all guilty of that.

We all fall short at times.

In many cases it comes down to personal moral values..
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK

14-07-2021, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
In the UK homelessness, REAL homelessness and living rough really is a choice.

I believe you are right from what I’ve been reading online.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK

14-07-2021, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
In many cases it comes down to personal moral values..
Yes....our moral values all differ. from one another.

Values are personal beliefs,

Page 5 of 9 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top