Join for free
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2016, 06:41 PM

Contactless card query

My daughter's going through a really bad patch at the moment, so I'm trying to do the best I can and keep her chin up. I took her out for a meal again last night as she's not eating properly. Anyway to cut to the chase, I paid for the meal with my debit card. The girl behind the bar took the card did something under the counter that I couldn't see and seconds later I was given the card back with a receipt.

I felt quite confused as I'd not had the machine nor put my pin number in, and said that to her. She said they'd used 'contactless'. I questioned why she didn't mention that and didn't she need my permission to use my card like that?
(I assumed those who use 'contactless' were in charge of their cards and did it themselves rather than someone just taking it and doing whatever it is they do).
I also thought one had a choice if they wanted to use 'contactless' rather than the pin. I've always been given the machine and entered my pin.

Do they have the right to just take your card, use the 'contactless' thingie, without asking your preference or permission?

I view it as a bloody cheek assuming, and not asking, if I wanted to go 'contactless' and secondly I find it disturbing she took the card and did it without saying what she was doing and not in my view.
I very pleasantly said that to her.
She basically said the manager wants people to pay the 'contactless' way and if I didn't want to do that then I could get the card changed at the bank to the old style.

I'm confused about all this 'contactless' paying with cards. I thought it was by choice? Do businesses normally take your card and 'do it for you'? And, if they do, would they ask your permission to do that?

(Hope you can make sense of my query)
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2016, 06:48 PM

Re: Contactless card query

Hi

A sign of the times I am afraid Pesta.

All the young ones seem to do it and it happens a lot in restaurants.

I never use my card except for getting cash, and I always pay cash when I am out.
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2016, 06:49 PM

I wouldn't like it either Pesta
I have contactless but I like to do the waving!

Not having the machine in sight seems like an odd way to do custom in this day and age.
I think I would have been a bit more terse than your pleasant
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2016, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Rhian ->

Not having the machine in sight seems like an odd way to do custom in this day and age.
Hi

Obviously Royalty.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2016, 06:55 PM

Never let them take. Your card away, they could be swiping it.
Gaining all the info off it.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2016, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
Never let them take. Your card away, they could be swiping it.
Gaining all the info off it.
I did think about that, having a suspicious mind... but rationalised it didn't take long enough to do that
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK

06-10-2016, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Rhian ->

I try to be pleasant when in public, especially when my daughter is present.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2016, 07:11 PM

Sounds damned fishy, it only takes a second to swipe it through a copying device and if it were me I would speak to the restaurant manager now and then to my card company to check for any fraudulent use. Like Tpin says though, never lose sight of your card and if you do then demand to know why.
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2016, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
I try to be pleasant when in public, especially when my daughter is present.
Ah yes of course!

Then I would have been pleasant through gritted teeth!
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK

06-10-2016, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
Sounds damned fishy, it only takes a second to swipe it through a copying device and if it were me I would speak to the restaurant manager now and then to my card company to check for any fraudulent use. Like Tpin says though, never lose sight of your card and if you do then demand to know why.
Yes, I did wonder whether to have a word with the manager, but I didn't. I just figured I'm an out of touch old biddy.

It is the first time this has happened re the card leaving my hands. I'll go in the bank tomorrow and check everything is ok and see if I can discuss my concerns about how this 'contactless' works.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top