Join for free
View Poll Results: In principle, should we mandate CCTV in UK care homes?
Yes 18 90.00%
No 2 10.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Reality1
Scotland
Reality1 is male  Reality1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2020, 07:11 PM

CCTV in care homes?

In principle should CCTV be mandated in every UK care home which involves personal care of vulnerable people? So far as I can see it is the only way to stamp out abusers, perverts and lazy carers and ensure that care is delivered to a reasonable standard.
I know there will be practical issues like security and rights of access which is why I ask "in principle"
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2020, 08:53 PM

Re: CCTV in care homes?

Maybe in public areas but I dont think I would want a camera on me 24/7 even old folk are entitled to their privacy
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2020, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by summer ->
Maybe in public areas but I dont think I would want a camera on me 24/7 even old folk are entitled to their privacy
And protection from physical abuse.
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2020, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by summer ->
Yes in total agreement public area's only I like my personal space.Plus public areas would mean passageways leading into the rooms so any misbehaving providing the staff are on the ball will be spotted and then they can figure out by the cctv who had been in the room.
I don't think it would need Sherlock Holmes to figure that out.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2020, 12:09 AM

If a family wants CCTV in someone's room then they should have a right to it. All carers should carry a mike to record their conversations which should be subject to regular spot checks. If they know they are being recorded then they will be kind because it's easy to forget yourself when dealing with someone who has dementia and forgets what you said the next moment, but not so easy if you know you are being recorded. Any residents should be wearing a monitor to record any pain when being handled. I think there are ways to monitor stress electronically. If it's possible with a lie detector test then it's possible to design something for a vulnerable adult.

So everything can be monitored to ensure kindness, respect and careful handling.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2020, 12:40 AM

The low standard of carers is partly to blame .
Caring for old people is not always a nice job.
It’s not all about bringing them a cup of tea and having a chat .
So only people who can’t get other jobs are likely to apply .
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2020, 12:57 AM

Not a yes or no answer.It depends on where the cameras are placed , who is allowed to watch the monitors and being if recorded or not. Should only senior staff managers only have access to view? Should relatives have a say ?
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2020, 09:46 AM

I hope I die before I need constant care ...the thought of cameras viewing my every move is horrifying just give me a lethal concoction hold my hand and say cheerio.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2020, 11:29 AM

If CCTV is allowed only in public areas, then it wouldn't take long for an abuser to realise that their crimes would have to take place in private areas, so it would be a waste of time. No point in installing in the first place.

I do think however, that some sort of checks need to be made. I like the idea of recorded sound.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2020, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
The low standard of carers is partly to blame .
[B]Caring for old people is not always a nice job.[/B]
It’s not all about bringing them a cup of tea and having a chat .
So only people who can’t get other jobs are likely to apply .
If only it was about bringing a cup of tea and having a chat. That's the trouble about being a carer, you just don't have the time to actually give the resident the most important thing they need which is YOUR TIME.
When I was a carer it used to really upset me that I wasn't able to sit and spend time with the people. They were lonely, needed some stimulation and conversation but they were lucky if they had someone pop their heads in, say 'alright Betty' and off the carer had to trot to do some duties that would have best been done by a domestic.

I used to say the care home owners need to employ domestics to do domestic jobs instead of those jobs taking up precious care time.

We had to do so much domestic work it was taking away time that could have been spent giving the residents our time.

We were ALWAYS short staffed and I eventually left because it upset me so much as I felt some residents were being neglected.

I eventually started my own business looking after a lady with dementia in her own home, that way I could dedicate my time to that person. We built up a fantastic relationship and we became great friends.

It angers me that some people go for care jobs and they don't even care and some will abuse. To them its 'just a job' when I was a carer I was just that, a carer, I truly did care about the welfare of my residents.

I miss caring but it is so emotionally draining and very physical work I decided when my lady passed away that I would go back into the office. It is mentally and physically taxing but very, very rewarding when that residents face lights up when you walk in the room.

I was always in trouble because they said I was spending too much time in the residents room but I didn't care, I was giving those residents what they needed.

Sorry I've waffled on, I have so much anger at the care system, so back to topic. Cameras in rooms? Dead right because we need to catch those nasty abusers but at the same time, where do we draw the line, these residents need to be able to keep their dignity. Personal care comes into it with some residents, giving personal care should be private.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top