Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2019, 05:35 PM

Re: Tyres

Good job you weren’t on a smart motorway spits, they’re dangerous, so much so the government aren’t doing anymore, yes these foam sealants aren’t much cop, unless you have a very small puncture, manufacturer’s stopped doing spares as standard, to go towards meeting their emission targets, and of course to make more money from the punters
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2019, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
Good job you weren’t on a smart motorway spits, they’re dangerous, so much so the government aren’t doing anymore, yes these foam sealants aren’t much cop, unless you have a very small puncture, manufacturer’s stopped doing spares as standard, to go towards meeting their emission targets, and of course to make more money from the punters
That thought did occur, its dangerous out there, can't afford to dwell on it though.
scot37
Aberdeenshire
scot37 is male  scot37 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2019, 11:43 PM

I have one of those space saving get you home type of spare wheel on my Fiat Panda. How these wheels are legal on the road surprises me. I bought a proper spare which I take on longer journeys. No motorways up here though.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2019, 01:21 PM

The space savers are limited to 50mph,
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2019, 03:14 PM

The other ting of course is that once the foam has been used the tyre cannot be repaired properly. Such a con.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2019, 03:48 PM

I did say about this in a previous post under sub heading "True Story" in this link

https://www.over50sforum.com/showthread.php?t=64077
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2019, 02:46 PM

3 years ago I bought a 2005 Fiesta in good condition. My check over included the spare wheel, and I thought "Oh good, it hasn't been used"

Well, obviously I wasn't up to speed as they say, as a couple of months later I wanted to swap the wheels round and discovered it was a get-you-home wheel, limited to 50mph and 50 miles distance

You learn these things
So far all my tyres are in good condition, but I'm aware of the type of spare wheel now
I'll probably keep it as it is, but if I ever get a car without a spare I'll do something about it

O/T I know, but I think it's worth mentioning

When I tried to swap my wheels round I found they were absolutely jammed on, and I couldn't get them off; I only had the wheel change jack, and didn't want to shake it too much
This was the first time I'd had a car with alloy wheels, and they'd corroded onto the steel hub
I took them to a garage and they sorted it with a generous dose of grease
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2019, 04:18 PM

Four or five years ago, I bought a Toyota Avensis as my workhorse car, I'd been using it for about six months before I had cause to lift the boot carpet, the Avensis has five stud hubs, the spare wheel had four stud holes, the dealer must have found the nearest wheel and threw it in.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2019, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Four or five years ago, I bought a Toyota Avensis as my workhorse car, I'd been using it for about six months before I had cause to lift the boot carpet, the Avensis has five stud hubs, the spare wheel had four stud holes, the dealer must have found the nearest wheel and threw it in.
A right Arthur Daley.
rcs60h
Bedfordshire, UK
rcs60h is male  rcs60h has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2019, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
The other ting of course is that once the foam has been used the tyre cannot be repaired properly. Such a con.
Not only can the tyre no longer be used, it will be almost impossible to remove the foam from the wheel and so the wheel will no longer be usable either, expensive if you have fancy alloys.
The "space saver" wheels that are supplied with some cars are usually in cars that have full size spare wheel wells and usually have packing to raise the "space saver" up to the level of an ordinary wheel to level up the boot space.
So the only real saving is to have a full size spare wheel, it may reduce your mpg by a very small fraction but in the long run it will save you money.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top