Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2019, 08:50 AM

How old is your Laptop?

Hi

Mine is 5 years old and still going strong, although i have just had to order a new battery.

I am tempted to get a new one, but being tight, I will probably wait.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2019, 09:01 AM

Re: How old is your Laptop?

Mine is four years old - and runs on the infamous Windows 8 which I loath. Must have it updated - maybe after Christmas.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2019, 09:43 AM

I'm not sure how old the laptop is because I bought it second-hand. It has an i5 processor with 8GB of RAM.

It had Windows 8 installed when I got it, so it could date back to 2012 or some time after. I use it mostly for experimental purposes. I upgraded it to Windows 10 shortly after getting it but since then, it has had various Linux operating systems installed. At present, it's on Windows 7.
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2019, 10:05 AM

I got 2 laptops in 2014, one was a Dell latitude E6400 which was originally manufactured in 2010. I bought it as a re-furb because at the time I bought it I couldn't get a new Win 7.

I've had it since 2014, it was originally an XP which was upgraded to Win 7. Since I've had it it's had to have the OS re-installed once due to a failure (I did that myself as it came with an installation disk) but since that re-installation it's been fine. I do not intend to upgrade the OS to Win 10.

The other Dell was classed as a refurb but was an over order where a company ordered too many machines and returned it unused but it had been taken out of the box and couldn't be classed as new anymore. That is a Dell Latitude E5530, originally Win 7 but now upgraded to Win 10. Also bought in 2014.

Both still going strong.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2019, 11:25 AM

No idea. It was recon/secondhand and unfortunately loaded with win10 which meant that half the stuff I had worked on before wouldn't open. I much prefer the old Win7.
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2019, 12:20 PM

Anyone know where I can get a good working laptop with xp will pay a fair price.I need it for some of my old games nothing more than that.
My old HP as finally given up the ghost and is now waiting to be taken to the local council dump. I bought that in 2000 so its had a fair life.
My Samsung Win:10 will not play the games.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2019, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by longfellow ->
Anyone know where I can get a good working laptop with xp will pay a fair price.I need it for some of my old games nothing more than that.
My old HP as finally given up the ghost and is now waiting to be taken to the local council dump. I bought that in 2000 so its had a fair life.
From experience I would avoid buying an old reconditioned one. It'll be knackered before you get it. Is there no way of getting your old one repaired? I paid just a couple of hundred for my current pile of poo but in hindsight, should have asked if it could have been repaired first (the screen was cracked).
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2019, 12:26 PM

Don't know if you've tried any of these work arounds.....

https://windowsreport.com/run-window...es-windows-10/

You can buy second hand machines from https://www.valucomputers.co.uk/
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2019, 12:30 PM

Maybe you could go up a notch and look for a Windows 7 computer ..or installation disk? I have Windows 7 installed on my laptop because a favourite game won't run on Windows 10.

Many of my older games that ran on XP still worked when I went to Windows 7, so maybe your games would too. A Windows 7 disk or computer might be easier to find than an XP one.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

08-12-2019, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
Maybe you could go up a notch and look for a Windows 7 computer ..or installation disk? I have Windows 7 installed on my laptop because a favourite game won't run on Windows 10.

Many of my older games that ran on XP still worked when I went to Windows 7, so maybe your games would too. A Windows 7 disk or computer might be easier to find than an XP one.
How on earth could Microsoft see this a s step forward, knowing that they have the power to enable the things people want on their computers but choose not to?

I suppose if you have an installation disc, there is always the possibility of creating a partition.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top