Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2019, 12:54 AM

Re: Speeding at 115mph

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Quite.

It unnerved me.
These lorries are so huge and need more stopping distance than a small car.
Absolutely!!

There is a curious misguided perception in relation to "professional" drivers (including cab/taxis) feeling they have a greater right to be on the road than the other 99% of non professionals.

We all pay the same proportion in terms of fuel and road tax for our roads and hence maintenance/development. So we all have equal rights in terms of usage.

But we all follow the same set of highway codes. Why "professionals" feel that they have a divine right to ignore these is a complete mystery.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2019, 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
Absolutely!!

There is a curious misguided perception in relation to "professional" drivers (including cab/taxis) feeling they have a greater right to be on the road than the other 99% of non professionals.

We all pay the same proportion in terms of fuel and road tax for our roads and hence maintenance/development. So we all have equal rights in terms of usage.

But we all follow the same set of highway codes. Why "professionals" feel that they have a divine right to ignore these is a complete mystery.

Something you won't have encountered Dex, is I find these bullies often target lone women too.

It was foul weather today, with road spray not helping and I was not prepared to do more than 50 mph on the dual carriageway under those conditions.
If he was unhappy with that, he should have overtaken me, not try to force me to go at his speed.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2019, 12:59 AM

Hi

Rule number one of driving in bad conditions.

Do not get your car between 2 HGV's.

You have no chance.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2019, 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
What I have done in the past is to very gently slow down. Just decelerate and not apply brakes: brake lights might aggravate an arrogant tailgater!

This achieves two things.
- Any collision will be reduced in effect, the slower the speed.
- The tailgater will eventually give up and will either see sense and back off, or will overtake when he thinks he can.

I also get a sense of satisfaction in making him slow down!
Personally, I tend to touch my brake gently to turn the brake light on without actually slowing. It tends to have a greater effect, much to the annoyance of the tailgater irrespective of what they're driving.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2019, 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by dextrous63 ->
absolutely!!

JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2019, 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
Personally, I tend to touch my brake gently to turn the brake light on without actually slowing. It tends to have a greater effect, much to the annoyance of the tailgater irrespective of what they're driving.
Don't irritate them!
You must remember that they are not 'normal'!
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK

13-12-2019, 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Something you won't have encountered Dex, is I find these bullies often target lone women too.

It was foul weather today, with road spray not helping and I was not prepared to do more than 50 mph on the dual carriageway under those conditions.
If he was unhappy with that, he should have overtaken me, not try to force me to go at his speed.
Agreed. I apologise on behalf of my testosterone driven (pun intended) gender who feel it's appropriate to bully female drivers. We're not all like that. Well, not all of the time!!
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK

13-12-2019, 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Don't irritate them!
You must remember that they are not 'normal'!
Give unto Caesar
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK

13-12-2019, 01:10 AM

I'm sure we've all seen stories about how "professional" drivers are let off in court due to the fact that they state that banning them from driving will prevent them from earning a living.

What sort of madness is this? Giving a Carte Blanche to dangerous drivers?!?

It's akin to letting a burglar remain free since incarcerating him will prevent him from making an illegal living.
Savvy
United States
Savvy is male  Savvy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2019, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Ray Cathode ->
A few years ago a car was clocked at 147 MPH on an A road up here. It turned out to be an unmarked police car driven by a non traffic officer who claimed he was training. He was granted an exemption and not prosecuted.

Over a 3 year period 300 police officers were reported for speeding some in non emergency situations, 2 were prosecuted.
He was exempted from prosecution, because people killed in "training" accidents aren't as dead as people killed by speeders. He should have been given twice the penalty for speeding and reckless endangerment.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top