Join for free
Page 7 of 7 « First < 5 6 7
Vaniy
Spain
Vaniy is male  Vaniy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2019, 03:14 PM

Re: De-criminalisation of non-payment of TV Tax?

If you think British TV is bad try watching Spanish
Reality1
Scotland
Reality1 is male  Reality1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2020, 11:14 PM

Couldn't care less.

I only watch NETFLIX, SKY, BT TV and Social media.

I see no point in paying a license for the BBC.

Either they could raise the money through adverts like ITV or just start a subscription service same as all the others.
Maybe the USA will insist on this as part of their trade deal?

Bad luck for all the UK Oldies who watch it every day though!

There again, they are the ones who voted for Boris.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2020, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Reality1 ->
Couldn't care less.

I only watch NETFLIX, SKY, BT TV and Social media.

I see no point in paying a license for the BBC.

Either they could raise the money through adverts like ITV or just start a subscription service same as all the others.
Maybe the USA will insist on this as part of their trade deal?

Bad luck for all the UK Oldies who watch it every day though!

There again, they are the ones who voted for Boris.
That's how it used to be before the rules were changed after it became possible to watch TV programmes on computers and not 'live' on plus one hour channels and catch-up TV generally. Once this was realised by 'the powers that be' the rules were changed so that a TV licence had to be paid for 'owning a device capable of receiving television programmes'. What channels you view is irrelevant to requiring a TV licence.

They get you all ways round, even the free TV licence for over 75s they tried to abolish!

Then to make things even worse it was realised that MPs usually have a TV at home for which a licence is required. Their 'second homes' though, away from their constituencies, also had a TV but as it was not their main residence a licence was not required, also of course 'it was a requirement of their work as an MP that they had to keep up with events and world news'!

Of course, we all realise that, don't we?
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2020, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Why is it that most media people seem to tend towards the left-wing, certainly most of our television companies?.
That is an excellent question, but spot on correct. I've given that question a great deal of thought. I believe it has numerous answers.
1.) Beginning in college most leftists tend to study in the humanities, especially sociology which is almost totally dominated by extreme leftist professors, where they quickly learn that to bend society to THEIR perspective, two occupations are critical: politics and the mass media. Incidentally, many of Clinton's and O'Bama's closest advisors have moved into the mass media.
2.) It is no secret that majoring in sociology is not a good way to obtain decent paying jobs. Or, for that matter, any job at all. Thus, they move into the fringes of politics and if they are lucky, they can move on to mass media where they can spread the gospel according to the leftist ideology.

Conservatives , on the other hand, tend to gravitate toward the higher paying professions. ie the "hard" sciences. However, with the advent of the www and computers that picture is changing.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2020, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Woodsman59 ->
I remember how the BBC reported when asked not to , put our forces in danger during the Falklands conflict.
A similar thing occurred with the N.Y. Times after 9/11.
The Times discovered that the U.S. intelligence agencies where able to intercept and read cell phone transmissions of terrorist organizations. The Times, caring not one iota about national security, quickly printed that info. Terrorists, like Bin Laden, were informed within a few hours. Thus, the job of hunting him down became 10 times more difficult.

Leftist mass media, like the N.Y. Times, CBS, NBC, and ABC are positively drooling over any negative stories about Trump. Compare that with the stories about O'Bama walking on water.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2020, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
That is an excellent question, but spot on correct. I've given that question a great deal of thought. I believe it has numerous answers.
1.) Beginning in college most leftists tend to study in the humanities, especially sociology which is almost totally dominated by extreme leftist professors, where they quickly learn that to bend society to THEIR perspective, two occupations are critical: politics and the mass media. Incidentally, many of Clinton's and O'Bama's closest advisors have moved into the mass media.
2.) It is no secret that majoring in sociology is not a good way to obtain decent paying jobs. Or, for that matter, any job at all. Thus, they move into the fringes of politics and if they are lucky, they can move on to mass media where they can spread the gospel according to the leftist ideology.

Conservatives , on the other hand, tend to gravitate toward the higher paying professions. ie the "hard" sciences. However, with the advent of the www and computers that picture is changing.
Good explanation. It makes a lot of sense.

Page 7 of 7 « First < 5 6 7

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top