Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2019, 03:18 AM

Vertigo ... or BPPV

You know the ailment ... the one where you walk at a slant or worse, go to get up and the world spins.

Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo.

Anyone had it? I've had the thing for a month now.
I'm doing the Brandt-Daroff exercises and getting fed up.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2019, 04:01 AM

Re: Vertigo ... or BPPV

Not that type. I have every day garden variety vertigo. The one you get when you suffer from acrophobia. The fear of heights.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2019, 07:17 AM

I hate heights too even on tv if there is a shot from a high building I feel anxious...I've never put a name to it though and to be honest it doesn't impact much on my life.

Your condition is totally different I know that Morty.. I've not heard of it before so I'm not much help ...hope you feel better soon.

It's good to see you back posting by the way...you were missed
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2019, 09:19 AM

Welcome back Morty!
I've got some sort of vertigo, just had physio and had tablets changed because they did nothing.
I can't remember what my GP called it, I have to go back after Xmas.
I get the room going around, in bed when I turn over, on the loo, when I stand or bend down, also when I look at the river!

I wish it would go away!

The first doc said it was vestibular neuritis.

I sympathise it's horrible.
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2019, 09:32 AM

I too get blinding headaches, Giddy spells and now and again lose my balance and fall over. I have given up seeing the Doctor as I honestly think they don,t care if you are elderly. I saw my GP and was told it was probably caused by either an inner infection (He did not look in my ears) or due to high blood pressure (He did not check my blood pressure) I was given stronger pain killing tablets and told to 'take things easy' All in all I was in the consulting room all of three minutes. The strange thing is that when I am sat or laid down I am fine, it,s just when I stand.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2019, 10:01 AM

It is a horrible condition. I also know Carol has suffered with this and had to do the exercises (to try and dislodge the misplaced crystals in the ear). I didn’t do them but just waited for it to clear on its own (but did see the GP, and was given drugs to help with the dizziness). It was frightening, as when I tried to get out of bed my body just slammed back downwards. I couldn’t control it.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2019, 11:02 AM

I first experienced Vertigo (alias Labrynthitis) almost exactly one year ago.

Following a family meal I had collapsed into my armchair with total loss of balance control.

After a few minutes there were big vomiting effects.

My daughters called the ambulance and I was taken to Frimley Park Hospital.

The staff, there, spent most of the night doing the most thorough checks I've ever had.

Finally they called it the above and sent me home with some pills.

The pills had little effect but the condition has been quietly going away over the rest of the year. Getting out of the bed, in the dark, is when it is worst.

Three things about this.

1) They say it's not catching - but I had been to a party, the week before I got it, where one of the wives was suffering with it, albeit 5 days in advance of me.

2) I had only just been fitted with a hearing aid and I, in my mind, joined up the links with a possible infection of the ear.

3) I keep meeting others who had the same - not catching....??
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2019, 11:19 AM

I have a fear of heights although I understand it is a completely different thing to vertigo, the medical condition. I don't suffer from it as such but have had a couple of instances where just walking has felt like bouncing on a trampoline. A very, very weird feeling which went away after an hour or so. I'm guessing it was an ear problem, not sure if it is the same as vertigo though.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2019, 12:07 PM

So sorry to hear you have this rotten condition Mort but I'm glad to see you posting, I was hoping you were ok.

I've never had it and don't ever want it, it sounds horrendous. I wish I could give you some advice.

I wonder if it's an age thing as quite a few people here seem to have suffered vertigo, or, can you get at a young age?

I do hope you get some relief from it very soon. (hugs) x
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2019, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
You know the ailment ... the one where you walk at a slant or worse, go to get up and the world spins.

Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo.

Anyone had it? I've had the thing for a month now.
I'm doing the Brandt-Daroff exercises and getting fed up.
Yes I had it for years , finally resolved by a hospital consultant when I moved into a different part of the country who performed the "neck manouvere " there and then .

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top