Join for free
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2019, 02:49 PM

Electric and Hybrid car servicing

Our local tyre and exhaust fitter will not touch these vehicles due to risk.

http://pmmonline.co.uk/technical/hyb...vicing-part-2/

Some hybrid systems also use capacitors, it is vital to ascertain if the system to be worked on has capacitors fitted as these will need to be discharged before any service or repair operations can commence.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2019, 04:35 PM

Re: Electric and Hybrid car servicing

I would have expected them all to have capacitors. All the power electronics systems we designed had capacitors. And a clearly worded warning label about ensure that they had discharged. I imagine that such labels would be mandatory on vehicles. One of our customers did not heed the label and ended up being seriously injured.
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2019, 04:42 PM

I have always taken my Hybrid car back to the dealer for any work to be done. Even tyres.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2019, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by EZ Rider ->
I have always taken my Hybrid car back to the dealer for any work to be done. Even tyres.

What's a 'Hybrid' car?
I know what hybrid chickens are, but not cars.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2019, 05:43 PM

AA cover will get you to nearest charging point.

If your battery runs flat, we won't be able to fix it at the roadside. But we'll get you going again as quickly as possible by towing you to the nearest charging station. Once your car's had a charge, you'll be good to go.

For any other faults, we fix them as standard. If it's a flat tyre or a lost key, we can usually fix it there and then. In fact, we fix 8 out of 10 cars at the roadside, so you're in safe hands.
https://www.theaa.com/breakdown-cover/electric-cars
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2019, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
What's a 'Hybrid' car?
I know what hybrid chickens are, but not cars.
Two sources of energy. Battery and internal combustion.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2019, 10:24 PM

The dealer will charge a 'King's Ransom' to service your electric or hybrid vehicle, but it will never be a problem for me because I will run a diesel for as long as I will be driving....

A hybrid Mups, is a car with an engine as normal but it also has an electric motor. The engine can charge the batteries to provide the electric motor with power, but if the batteries run out then the engine takes over.

An all electric car only has batteries and an electric motor, but when the batteries run out you must charge them up again before it will drive.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2019, 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
The dealer will charge a 'King's Ransom' to service your electric or hybrid vehicle, but it will never be a problem for me because I will run a diesel for as long as I will be driving....

A hybrid Mups, is a car with an engine as normal but it also has an electric motor. The engine can charge the batteries to provide the electric motor with power, but if the batteries run out then the engine takes over.

An all electric car only has batteries and an electric motor, but when the batteries run out you must charge them up again before it will drive.

Thank you for the explanation, Foxy.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2019, 12:32 PM

The Telegraph, this morning, shows a charging area, in Wokingham, flooded.

Good bit of planning there?

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top