Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2019, 08:22 PM

Re: Veganism to be protected under the Equality Act yes/no?

Originally Posted by annies ->
it's really unpleasant and also very difficult to explain to people how it feels after eating gluten. I describe it as the same as you would feel having eaten a bag of cement.

It's actually really difficult to find a restaurant that is truly gluten free. Eating out is a real lottery. They say it's gluten free but i often feel unwell after a meal.

But my post here was a bit tongue in cheek. Because we all have dietary preferences. When you start to criminalise opinion on diet then you open a can of worms. (maybe literally if you are paleo).
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2019, 08:26 PM

People don't always appreciate that even a small amount of gluten can have painful after effects. So many foods have undeclared gluten as well - for example - ready ground white/black pepper is mixed with flour to stop it caking - but there is no warning of that on the tubs.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2019, 11:42 PM

Yes I agree. It's one thing to stick rigidly to a lifestyle that has strict boundaries on food, dress, religious practises etc. But you still have to both comply with the secular laws of the country you live in and not demand that people, organisations or communities who are not part of your belief system to submit to those beliefs and practices. THat is unless it has become part of that secular law system that they should. Like in this country active racism and racial vilification is against the law. But eating meat in a place where most people that live there are vegans isn't. Irefer to those incidents in your country, in Luton. Where you had Muslim men patrolling the streets telling women - non muslim anglo sax English women that is - to get off the street and 'cover up"..go home and obey their husband!...I couldn't believe it.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2019, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Why?
To understand why first is to understand the issue. Consider this.

Would you want to work sitting on the skin removed from a corpse. If your employer could easily replace your corpse skin chair with a chair covered with plastic without the slightest difficulty?

How about having to use a machine tool that used a cutting oil extracted from the corpse of someone that had been deliberately murdered just to obtain that oil?

This isn't about what a person choses to eat, it's a thing that goes far deeper.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2019, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->

Would you want to work sitting on the skin removed from a corpse. If your employer could easily replace your corpse skin chair with a chair covered with plastic without the slightest difficulty?

How about having to use a machine tool that used a cutting oil extracted from the corpse of someone that had been deliberately murdered just to obtain that oil?

This isn't about what a person choses to eat, it's a thing that goes far deeper.
I think you could be considered as 'Woke' Todger.

Now chiefly: alert to racial or social discrimination and injustice', while Urban defines it as 'being woke means being aware… knowing what's going on in the community (related to racism and social injustice)'

And....

People who fall into Generation Z are generally kids whose ages range from around 10 to people in their very early 20s. They are the products of the mid '90s and early 2000s who've never known a world without smartphones and easy access to the internet. Apparently that has helped make them woke.20 May 2018
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2019, 12:34 PM

I think vegans should be stood up against a wall and pelted with vegetables, aversion therapy works wonders.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2019, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
It's really unpleasant and also very difficult to explain to people how it feels after eating gluten. I describe it as the same as you would feel having eaten a bag of cement.

It's actually really difficult to find a restaurant that is truly gluten free. Eating out is a real lottery. They say it's gluten free but I often feel unwell after a meal.

But my post here was a bit tongue in cheek. Because we all have dietary preferences. When you start to criminalise opinion on diet then you open a can of worms. (maybe literally if you are paleo).
Annie, No it’s not a fad at all and l can sympathise with you. One of my grandsons suffers with this too.

l think you feel ill because some places don’t prepare the food separately, they use equipment that they have previously prepared gluten food. Or, they’ve cooked it in pans or on trays in ovens where the gluten food has been previously cooked on.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2019, 02:54 PM

I don't blame people for being Veggie or Vegan it's up to them what they eat, but it's some of the reasons why they are Veggie or Vegan that makes me smile......

I can understand why some people have to eat lactose or gluten free food if they are intolerant, but come on Arty, the condition is quite rare and Tesco's shelves are full of the crap. It's hard to find something that hasn't had the Fat, Lactose, sugar and gluten taken out of it and replaced with chemicals most chemists have never heard of....
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2019, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I don't blame people for being Veggie or Vegan it's up to them what they eat, but it's some of the reasons why they are Veggie or Vegan that makes me smile......

I can understand why some people have to eat lactose or gluten free food if they are intolerant, but come on Arty, the condition is quite rare and Tesco's shelves are full of the crap. It's hard to find something that hasn't had the Fat, Lactose, sugar and gluten taken out of it and replaced with chemicals most chemists have never heard of....
Foxy, If we had, had this conversation say, about 18 months ago. I would have agreed with you.
At first, l poo-pooed my daughter saying his tummy aches were to do with a gluten intolerance. I said, it was probably because he’d got grumbling appendix or, he didn’t want to go to school.
Since then, he has had tests that have shown he has an intolerance to foods containing gluten. He can’t have most of the things kids love, chocolate, sweets, biscuits, cakes etc. (Maybe it’s not a bad thing?)
I think even those vaping cigarettes give off gluten in the vapour too.
Intolerances and allergies seem to be on the up and l don’t know why?

Saying all this, l don’t think the law should be brought into it.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2019, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->

And what about when that chair ends up floating about in the Ocean?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top