Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2019, 01:38 AM

Re: What the heck is a chromebook and how do you buy a laptop these days???!

You're right about the power source Realist. My old Asus charger broke because they do rubbish chargers where you slot two bits together. I only managed to get a new one because they lost the original when they were repairing the screen. (the screen broke within warranty). When I'd previously searched for this online it was impossible to find it for sale.

I did have a universal charging pack with all the plug in adaptors but have no idea what I've done with that. The trouble is that unless you're really organised at the time, you end up finding a box of cables five years after the event and have no idea what goes with what.

In terms of the windows full version, that's probably like gold dust now. They don't sell discs as far as I know. I guess that was too easy for people to pass around. So you have to download which I hate. They ask for passwords and all sorts so if something goes wrong a few years later you totally forget all the details. It's much easier to keep track of a physical CD. The problem is that they want us to do everything in "the cloud" where it can be monitored and viewed by others. Someone else is basically controlling your access to your own information.

Even in the latest version of excel they have hidden the "share workbook" feature because they want you to use one drive or whatever it's called. You have to google it and go hunt it in the menu options section. This is the opposite of consumer choice and quite sinister IMO.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2019, 01:42 AM

Don't waste your money.

By the time the battery has packed it in the laptop is so old it needs changing anyway.

Power supplies? - Ebay.

Even better. Most laptop power supplies are about 20v 2amp (ish) just cut the plug off the broken power supply and attach it to another brand supply with similar specs. Easy as...
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2019, 01:49 AM

I agree about batteries as the ones they have made in the last few years seem superior to say ten years ago when they built in far more obsolescence. HP laptops were particularly prone to rip off power systems. The trouble was that it's not the battery but the system itself that fails in such models. So you stick in a new one and it's just as rubbish.

I've never had the confidence to buy anything on Ebay. My best mate furnished their whole house from there and I know others who love it. But I just imagine that anything electrical I buy there will have compromised safety. There was something on tv about cheap imitation chargers and how difficult they are to tell from the real thing. They did show one spectacularly exploding. It doesn't exactly inspire me with confidence.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top