Join for free
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2019, 03:03 AM

What's wrong with my DVD players ?

I have two (2) DVD players: a Sony and a Phillips, both of which are Region #1 (USA + Canada). ALL OF MY DVD'S are also Region #1. Problem: All of my DVD's will play on either player. HOWEVER, some of my DVD's will play subtitles (C.C.) on one of the machines but not on the other. A few of my DVD's will NOT play subtitles at all. I have spoken with the clerks at various stores and they say that I need to buy the most expensive DVD player ($190 USD). Supposedly, that will correct the problem. Hmm, that makes no sense to me. What in the world is going on ???
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2019, 05:34 AM

Re: What's wrong with my DVD players ?

My answer. Don't bother with DVDs at all. Subscribe to a couple of streaming services and you should be able to get most of what you want
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2019, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
My answer. Don't bother with DVDs at all. Subscribe to a couple of streaming services and you should be able to get most of what you want
I have in excess of 300 DVD's, many of those films are available only on DVD's and not some streaming service. The film, "War and Remembrance" a film by Herman Wouk is aprox 20+ hours long. Great bit of film making. Starring: Sir John Gielgud, Victoria Tennant, Jane Seymour and Robert Mitchum

But anyway I still need an answer to my original question. but thanks anyway.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2019, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
I have in excess of 300 DVD's, many of those films are available only on DVD's and not some streaming service. The film, "War and Remembrance" a film by Herman Wouk is aprox 20+ hours long. Great bit of film making. Starring: Sir John Gielgud, Victoria Tennant, Jane Seymour and Robert Mitchum

But anyway I still need an answer to my original question. but thanks anyway.
Wow. Your taste is very impressive and exacting. You are obviously a high level film buff. Sorry to offer such a trivial and irritating suggestion. But thanks for the thanks anyway.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2019, 02:16 PM

Can you play your DVDs on a PC and access the subtitles/CC on that? Trying to determine whether it's the DVDs or one of the players.

A bit of info here you might find useful....

https://www.cnet.com/forums/discussi...wanted-591594/
Dodge
Kent, UK
Dodge is male  Dodge has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2019, 03:06 PM

To be able to help you further I would need the model name and product number of each of the DVD players, only being told they are Sony and Philips does not help much.
rcs60h
Bedfordshire, UK
rcs60h is male  rcs60h has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2019, 03:29 PM

I would do the exact opposite to what the several store clerks have told you, and that is buy the cheapest DVD player that you can. The higher priced the player is then it usually contains more restrictions on the type and format of discs that it will play.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2019, 09:35 PM

I have an all region DVD player, which I presume can play all region DVD's, bought it because I have some region1 American DVD's & those play on it OK. Perhaps that's what you need? We are region2 in the UK.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2019, 09:50 PM

I understand they can be updated although I have never done it. I do think that Sony make some of the best items but are the least compatible.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top