Join for free
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2020, 08:31 AM

What has happened to word ?

I went to do a word document today .
A box came up saying updating Microsoft office please wait .
Them another box saying it failed .
I only ever use word and office was put on ages ago .
Is this some sort of ruse to make me buy it again ?
I’d there any other way to do a simple document on windows 10?
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2020, 08:51 AM

Re: What has happened to word ?

Not sure Muddy, I pay a modest monthly subscription to MS for the Office programmes so presume any updates happen automatically, just avoid the Cloud (on principal).
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2020, 09:13 AM

I am presuming that you have to pay now on a yearly basis .
£79:99 pa
Or £7.99 a month

Previously one bought it and that was that .
I am thinking this may be it as I have had this computer a year now .
I suppose I bought a yeas worth .

I do t understand cloud at all
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2020, 09:25 AM

Using Macs and therefore not M$ I don't have this problem, although Adobe has now gone over to subscription-based software. Mostly all this is to avoid loss of revenue from the copying of software programs that used to happen. I also read of the way M$ 'persuades' users of their software in certain ways, I have no personal knowledge of that so cannot state categorically the reasons for this.

To the point of this post, there is an equivalent FREE open source software called Libre Open Office that I understand is similar to Word, others will probably know more about it than myself:

https://www.libreoffice.org/discover/libreoffice/
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2020, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by muddy ->
i am presuming that you have to pay now on a yearly basis .
£79:99 pa
or £7.99 a month

previously one bought it and that was that .
I am thinking this may be it as i have had this computer a year now .
I suppose i bought a yeas worth .

I do t understand cloud at all
£5.99.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2020, 10:05 AM

Muddy I haven't used Word since I got this laptop.

I use Microsoft Wordpad which is a basic version of Word and free to download but take care where you download it from.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

02-01-2020, 10:12 AM

Thanks Meg trouble is I have lots of documents I made in word and can’t open them l

ETA

It seems I do have word pad Meg it comes with windows 10
So I have made a document now I only have to worry about those in word that I already have .
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

02-01-2020, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
£5.99.
£7.99 is what they are asking now .
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2020, 10:24 AM

You don't have to pay. I'm using the 2016 Home & Student version of MS Office. It was a one-off payment of around £90 (at the time) and I expect this version to last as long as I do. It does all that I need.

What version of MS Office do you have and have you searched the Internet as regards that version of Office's compatibility with Windows 10? Have you tried restarting the computer?

If you have been using your version of Office on Windows 10 up to now, there's no reason why it shouldn't keep on working. It seems that some sort of glitch has probably occurred.

I have had this happen in the past due to over zealous cleaning of the system with a third-party system cleaner. The cure was to reinstall Office. You may need to do this whatever has caused the problem. Do you still have the installation disk?

Also, have a read of this thread on the Microsoft forums. People there have suggested a number of things that could be tried.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...e-a6cc2b38904e

There are other programs that might be suggested such as Libre Office or Open Office. These work quite well with Microsoft Word file formats. I have used them myself in the past. However, they sometimes have trouble with the presentation of Word documents created in MS Word (if somebody sends you one). I installed Libre Office on my neighbour's computer and he has decided to switch to MS Office for this reason.

Another option is to use Office online (free). A description on how to use it here...

https://www.pcmag.com/news/354975/ho...nline-software
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2020, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I’d there any other way to do a simple document on windows 10?
Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
To the point of this post, there is an equivalent FREE open source software called Libre Open Office that I understand is similar to Word, others will probably know more about it than myself:

https://www.libreoffice.org/discover/libreoffice/
LibreOffice is still the top replacement free product for MSOffice with Google Docs (and others) readily available:

https://www.techradar.com/uk/best/free-office-software

1. LibreOffice
  2. Microsoft Office Online
  3. WPS Office Free
  4. Polaris Office
  5. Google Docs
  6. FreeOffice
  7. Zoho Workplace
Although I have MSOffice on my desktop, I use the uncomplicated FreeOffice on my aging laptop:

https://www.freeoffice.com/en/

FreeOffice is a complete Office suite with a word processor, a spreadsheet application and a presentation program – all compatible with their counterparts in Microsoft Office.

What's the catch? There is none. Simply download it for free and use it for as long as you want.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top