Join for free
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2020, 10:39 AM

Re: What has happened to word ?

Thank you everyone .
I bought a new computer last year and it seems you can’t buy Microsoft office once and for all anymore .
You have to pay on a yearly or monthly basis .
I had forgotten this so my time is up .
I am however worried about my document,ents already made I can’t open them .
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2020, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Thanks Meg trouble is I have lots of documents I made in word and can’t open them l
I had the same trouble when I got my laptop, pre-loaded with win10crap. Also, programmes such as Excel will not open either. You are expected to pay for it now unless you have the 'key' for the original , which let's face it, not many people do.

How did I get around it? I didn't, I just don't bother. There's no way I'm going to pay for something that should be free IMO.

I can't say it enough times but I HATE Win10 and the thought behind it.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2020, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I had the same trouble when I got my laptop, pre-loaded with win10crap. Also, programmes such as Excel will not open either. You are expected to pay for it now unless you have the 'key' for the original , which let's face it, not many people do.

How did I get around it? I didn't, I just don't bother. There's no way I'm going to pay for something that should be free IMO.

I can't say it enough times but I HATE Win10 and the thought behind it.
A bit off the subject of the original post but do you need to use MS Windows at all? Linux Mint is installed on our son's computer and it works well. There is nearly always and equivalent Linux Program of every Windows program ..and Linux is completely free.

Might switching to Linux be better than putting up with the HATE you feel every time you use the computer?
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2020, 11:02 AM

I am getting upset now because I can’t open any of my documents .
It keeps coming up application error ( Oxc0000142)
This sounds li,e some awful bug or something .
I can’t open the document o just made in wordpad
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2020, 11:13 AM

About Error Oxc0000142..

https://microsoftlivesupport.com/blo...de-oxc0000142/

I expect the above would also apply to Windows 10

Things just go wrong sometimes and something will need to be done in order to get Word working again. Have you tried all or any of the suggestions?

If you aren't comfortable with trying possible remedies on the computer, might it be best take it to a reputable repair shop?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2020, 11:20 AM

I am getting upset now because I can’t open any of my documents .
It keeps coming up application error ( Oxc0000142)
This sounds li,e some awful bug or something .
I can’t open the document o just made in wordpad
As others have said, download (free) LibreOffice. Yes, it's free!
No payments and the MS Word equivalent is very easy to use. It also has the distinct advantage of allowing you to save files as Word documents (if sending to other people, for example) and, as I have mentioned before, will open documents that MS Word cannot handle like, for example, some old Lotus documents (now discontinued) which I have had for many years. These also can be saved as MS Word documents!

My MS Office installation is the 2007 version, and still works perfectly! Like many other companies, Microsoft is in the business primarily of making money and I am not surprised in the least that they now demand regular payments for their software.
I paid for my Office 2007 and there is no way I'm going to pay again by compulsory regular charges. They have yet to demand any from me, of course, probably because they've forgotten about Office 2007 now being 13 years old!

Yes, Muddy, download LibreOffice. You'll find it perfectly intuitive to use.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

02-01-2020, 11:36 AM

Thank you everyone .
I bought a new computer last year and it seems you can’t buy Microsoft office once and for all anymore .
You have to pay on a yearly or monthly basis .
I had forgotten this so my time is up .
I am however worried about my document,ents already made I can’t open them .
If it is just a case of an expired subscription, then Libre Office could be the best way to go. I maintain that it can have some compatibility problems with documents created in MS Word but they are quite minor.

If you'd prefer to stay with MS Office, the Home & Student version is a one-off payment. It is a limited version for home use but it has most parts of Office that people need.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Microsoft-S...07X3K7V5D?th=1
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2020, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by mart ->
A bit off the subject of the original post but do you need to use MS Windows at all??
You do if you use VBA which I use extensively and you need M$ Office. I know there are other languages but I have been using Visual Basic and VBA for too long to change

You can still buy M$ Office on disc etc (I bought one recently for the Seniors club) BUT they no longer do the Home and Student with three licenses so I am sticking with my 2010 edition.

I agree tha Libreoffice is a good substitute and I use i on my Linux machine. It too has a built in script language but again I am too lazy to learn it.
Tregonsee
Lancashire UK
Tregonsee is male  Tregonsee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2020, 01:29 PM

Has EBay ceased to exist?
I have Office 2019
Corel ( not sure of number)
All downloaded from the genuine website and key provided by message.
No problems.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2020, 01:33 PM

Luckily, I keep a print of any important documents, letters etc.
I've actually started hand writing letters as I don't have Word or Office any more either. Takes ages and completely illegible but, hey ho!

Damn you Windows 10! (A pox on all their houses!)

I seem to remember, on Tomorrow's World, they told us we'd be a paperless society! I've never had so much paper!
Shredding machine companies must be raking it in!

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top