Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2020, 11:37 PM

going back to the moon

On Jan. 8th, 2020, the 1st stage of Artemis 1, the next manned mission to the moon, left the New Orleans Michoud facility headed to the Stennis facility for testing. After testing is complete Artemis 1 will be shipped to Cape Kennedy.

You may recall that the previous manned missions to the moon were called the Apollo program. In Greek mythology, the goddess Artemis was the twin sister of the god Apollo.

It has been announced that the 1st Artemis mission will include the 1st woman to go to the moon.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2020, 12:29 AM

Re: going back to the moon

Why?. IT's just a dead ball of rock and dust. Any importance it has as a celestial body and it's influence on the Earth can easily be studied and measured from Earth for a bajillion less dollars.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2020, 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
Why?. IT's just a dead ball of rock and dust. Any importance it has as a celestial body and it's influence on the Earth can easily be studied and measured from Earth for a bajillion less dollars.
The Artemis missions are only the 1st step to the goal of beginning a permanent manned settlement on Mars. Ultimately, many, many more years in the future, terraforming will begin on Mars. Once that happens, humans will have two planets on which to live.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2020, 12:46 AM

I would have loved to have gone to the moon. How mind blowing would that have been... to be the first person to step onto it.

Strangely no mention of this mission in the media that I am aware of.
bakerman
Mexico

15-01-2020, 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I would have loved to have gone to the moon. How mind blowing would that have been... to be the first person to step onto it.

Strangely no mention of this mission in the media that I am aware of.
You may be able to find info on MSN.com
Also, if you go to youtube.com you can find some info by searching "Artemis 1 core stage" Some nifty videos there.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2020, 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
The Artemis missions are only the 1st step to the goal of beginning a permanent manned settlement on Mars. Ultimately, many, many more years in the future, terraforming will begin on Mars. Once that happens, humans will have two planets on which to live.
Now that we've almost stuffed this one. Excuse my cynicism but I think the billions would be better spent on doing something real and lasting about fixing up the damage we've done to this planet before we start on another one. We've already made a massive garbage dump of space around Earth (See pic) How about a clean up there first. And you say humans. What about the animals?..Really. What about them. Do they get to go too? And Mars?..You don't have to go to Mars to see Mars. JUst visit parts of outback Australia. You don't even need a rocket and you can even breathe fresh, clean air. For now.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	Space garbage.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	11433  
bakerman
Mexico

15-01-2020, 02:22 AM

My, oh, my what a breast that SLS Artemis 1 is. They say it is the most powerful rocket ever built. At lift off, it consumes 2 tons of fuel PER SECOND. WOW!

Though I don't pretend to understand the mathematics behind it, the moon's orbit is supposed to be the launching site to make the first manned mission to Mars.

Latest info says that they have tentatively set the date of the 1st moon mission at 2024.
bakerman
Mexico

15-01-2020, 02:26 AM

Keezoy, you are entitled to your opinion , but whether you like it or not, it IS going to happen.

That computer generated image is EXTREMELY misleading. It is NOT to scale. If it were to scale, all of those white dots could not be seen. The fact of the matter is that people who are in orbit above earth do not see any of those things. Moreover, lots of those "things" are working satellites.
keezoy
Australia

15-01-2020, 02:37 AM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
Keezoy, you are entitled to your opinion , but whether you like it or not, it IS going to happen.
Of course mate. I know that. And of course you are too. This forum is about debate and civilised argument. But am I also entitled to ask questions based on what you say?..They are..again. 1. What about the crap around our own planet?..2. What about our animals? Also, you are so fatalistic about this course of events. Like you appear to be 100% sure of what is going to happen in the future. These kind of ventures I would think would depend, amongst a lot of other things, on world peace and co-operation between the superpowers. Is the USA going to do it alone?..with China? Russia?..India?.. And about the image. That crossed my mind also. But all the same, are you saying space around Earth is not full of garbage and dead equipment?..My questions are serious. Not rhetorical in the least.
bakerman
Mexico

15-01-2020, 02:52 AM

Yes, the USA is , in fact, going to do it alone. Friends of the U.S probably will be invited to go along, just as they were invited on the space shuttle. But, this is a U.S.A mission.

Your thoughts about animals going to Mars are hundreds of years into the far future. We must FIRST terraform Mars and make the atmosphere breathable AND only then will we be able to transplant seedlings from earth. But, even before THAT happens we will be cultivating edible crops for our own consumption.

Please go to youtube.com and search "Artemis 1 roll out." and you will see exactly why I am 100% positive about what I say. The first group of Artemis 1 astronauts have recently graduated
I think I an safe in guaranteeing that Artemis will be launched in 2024.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top