Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2020, 07:46 PM

Re: internet dongle

Doesn't mean a thing to me RS, as I said I thought all modern computers come wifi enabled but according to you people in the know, apparently not.... hey ho, live and learn...
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2020, 07:48 PM

Get a Mac I say!
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2020, 07:49 PM

Mags
I presume you have a laptop then. Even with that if you get a bad signal my one will plug straight into a laptop port. Only difference is you would have to download the driver etc unless you have a CD/DVD player built in

I did a download speed check and the computer internet connection is about 2 Mbps fast now than than the one I replaced.
Oh the reason I replaced it was the previous on it kept dropping out of internet connection which is not good news
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2020, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Get a Mac I say!
My wife got a Mac to replace her ageing windows laptop but has really struggled with it, windows seems much more logical somehow in many ways..

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Mags
I presume you have a laptop then. Even with that if you get a bad signal my one will plug straight into a laptop port. Only difference is you would have to download the driver etc unless you have a CD/DVD player built in
I haven't had to use a disc to load a device driver for years RS, if I plug a new device into a USB port the computer automatically downloads and installs the driver for it.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2020, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
Doesn't mean a thing to me RS, as I said I thought all modern computers come wifi enabled but according to you people in the know, apparently not.... hey ho, live and learn...
Barry I suspect you are correct, however I built my own computer and didn't order an intrnl WiFi card as i didn't want one. Those in the picture were from a very old computer running windows XP

I am loathed to get rid of old gear hence I still have those in the picture, same as recording tapes ( no longer got a tape player), Old XP games on CD's which won't play on windows 10.Even a flat bed Canon LIDE210 scanner not used for more years than I care to remember.

One day I will have a great big clearout.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2020, 08:00 PM

Mags

I did a download speed check and the computer internet connection is about 2 Mbps fast now than than the one I replaced.
Oh the reason I replaced it was the previous on it kept dropping out of internet connection which is not good news
I've never ever had a laptop Realspeed, just Macs and iPads and never had bad signals with either.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

20-01-2020, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
I've never ever had a laptop Realspeed, just Macs and iPads and never had bad signals with either.
Mags

that is fine, no arguments from me. As I want a desktop computer and largish monitor for my photography work so my needs are different to yours.

For example, if I want to edit then put a video onto youtube there is no problem, I don't know how you would do it ?
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK

20-01-2020, 08:12 PM

Mags

that is fine, no arguments from me. As I want a desktop computer and largish monitor for my photography work my needs are different to yours.

For example, if I want to edit then put a video onto youtube there is no problem, I don't know how you would do it ?
Fair enough...
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2020, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
You surprise me, I thought all modern computers now had wifi capability...
I think it would be mostly Desktop computers that don't. Mine doesn't for instance. It connects to the router directly via a lead. I'd have to get a wi-fi dongle to connect it wirelessly.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

20-01-2020, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
I think it would be mostly Desktop computers that don't. Mine doesn't for instance. It connects to the router directly via a lead. I'd have to get a wi-fi dongle to connect it wirelessly.
It all depends on how close you are to the router. Mine is in one room and can send signals throughout the house. One advantage of going wireless is no trailing leads to pull out or trip over.
Also Sue myself and at the moment Ben my youngest can all use the internet at the same time without loss of connection speed.

One thing I won't get is a wireless mouse and keyboard bit of a drain on battery power

Same with the house telephone, all wireless, not as when I worked for BT when we had to run unsightly cables everywhere

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top