Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2020, 05:29 PM

Re: Markets - are we losing them?

Trying not to sound racist here but there are those that will say I am.
To many foreign stall holders selling cheap copies killed off my local market years ago that was East Street Mkt.
I had loads of mates in those days that had stalls passed down to them and they earned a fair living from them.
They all started moving to the outskirts of London and either gave it up and changed their type of work or started up new stalls in Kent somewhere.
When a market goes its not only the stalls that close its also the shops pubs and cafes around them that have done trade alongside them for 20/30 years that suffer and close.
I moved out to Wickford and saw they had a decent market and now in Pitsea where at the weekends its busy but Wednesdays not so in the winter but summer it picks up.
We have a Lidl's a Aldi's and a Range alongside quite a few others and they all seem to be doing well.
Our local planners seemed to have realised that parking is a much needed thing and there is a pretty large free parking area.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2020, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Of course we are Tabby, they're as old fashioned as a horse and cart. Doncaster had the largest market in south Yorkshire at one time but despite many attempts to revive it I fear it's days are numbered.
The one near Frenchgate seems to be alive and well.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2020, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
The one near Frenchgate seems to be alive and well.
You should have seen it twenty years ago Besoeker, it's only a shadow of its former self....
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2020, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
You should have seen it twenty years ago Besoeker, it's only a shadow of its former self....
Can't argue with that. As I said, we have been here less than a year.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2020, 07:21 PM

I miss our lovely weekly market which sold everything, they use the land to build Waitrose.
We still have a farmers market but that is only every three weeks.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2020, 07:35 PM

Hi

Shrewsbury had a big outdoor Sunday Market, very good and well attended.

It was privatised, rents went up hugely and many left, it is now more of a car boot.

The indoor market has been voted the best in the UK.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2020, 08:04 PM

Markets all but disappeared over here, but in light of organic farming movements and more healthy eating, we are seeing a resurgence. It takes quite a bit of driving though to find one. For me, the closest suitable farmers market is almost an hour away.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2020, 08:15 PM

I like to choose my own fruit and vegetables but some market stall holders, won’t allow you to do this.

I also, think it’s the high rents they have to pay the market owners, puts them off.
The bad weather is another drawback.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2020, 10:03 PM

[QUOTE=Artangel;1847277]I like to choose my own fruit and vegetables but some market stall holders, won’t allow you to do this.

I also, think it’s the high rents they have to pay the market owners, puts them off.
The bad weather is another drawback.[/QUOTE]

And people are too soft these days Arty.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2020, 10:54 PM

[QUOTE=OldGreyFox;1847332]
Originally Posted by Artangel ->
I like to choose my own fruit and vegetables but some market stall holders, won’t allow you to do this.

The bad weather is another drawback.[/QUOTE]

And people are too soft these days Arty.
Foxy, I think you’re right about people being too soft about going out in bad weather.
When l go out in the pouring rain and l never take an umbrella, it does cross my mind that not a lot of people would attempt to go out in the rain.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top