Join for free
Page 5 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2019, 01:52 PM

Re: De-criminalisation of non-payment of TV Tax?

The UK television license is very much less expensive than in a number of European countries.

That being said there is no way that not having paid a license fee should ever have been made a criminal offense.

As for television over the Christmas period IMO British tv was all unmitigated crap.
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2019, 02:09 PM

So, that,s your answer to my question. We should pay the same as other European countries pay in spite of the programmes being 'unmitigated crap' as you say.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2019, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by big ben ->
So, that,s your answer to my question. We should pay the same as other European countries pay in spite of the programmes being 'unmitigated crap' as you say.
No, there should be no television licenses anywhere.

Instead subscription only.

It would introduce competition into a new market with the effect of pushing up quality which is what always happens when a fixed market is liberated.
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2019, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->

It would introduce competition into a new market with the effect of pushing up quality which is what always happens when a fixed market is liberated.
I will agree with you wholeheartedly on that
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2019, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->

I remember the days when ITV comprised 14 or 15 separate companies, four or five being the major producers of TV programmes.
Competition, albeit friendly, ensured very high-quality programmes which regularly outshone those of the BBC.

Compare those to the output of both the present-day ITV (one large company) and the BBC - mostly crap programmes appealing especially to the 'Big Brother' brigade.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2019, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by big ben ->
My worry is Scammers!.
Those that don,t pay their license fee will not be criminalised but how are we going to know to know if there is a way of paying this fee without being scammed? Scammers these days are so clever that I can see thousands of elderly folk being ripped off by these gangs. Surely the BBC or the government will have to come up with a method that ensures vulnerable people are not being taken for a ride.
Then again the whole business may be mothballed anyway.
You set it up to pay direct debits via the official website. Although I'm assuming that they will be sending out paperwork again given that many elderly people affected will be of an age where they have never gotten the hang of the internet or may have arthritic fingers, poor vision, etc.

Some of the scam emails look extremely convincing until you look at the sender email address. Anyone can check the status of their licence payment on the official site.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2019, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I'm loving the Avatar Solasch, and by the way.....I'm visiting your neck of the woods on New Years Day while on a cruise....I look forward to seeing Amsterdam....

Sorry for going off topic.....
Have fun! Although new years day is an offical day of celebration which causes many attractions to be closed.
Tip: if you can travel on your own, visit Haarlem, the same historic scenery, much less touristic. Red lights only to regulate traffic.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2019, 10:30 PM

Did the TV Detector Vans really work or was it just like the Moon landings?
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2019, 11:09 PM

We are unlikely to get an Ex Astronaut on here, but we may get an Ex Detector Van Operator.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2019, 12:00 AM

Being an American, I am quite confused about what a tv license is ? If you have a tv then you must pay a fee ? If so, how much does it cost/month. Do I understand that there are tv detection vans roaming the streets ?

In the U.S. there is no such thing as a tv license. There are 5 main free broadcasting stations: ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, and PBS. EACH national broadcaster has several channels which means that you can watch 2 or 3 different programs at any specific time. Thus, there may be aprox up to 15 tv stations playing free programing.

Of course, there are several other ways of watching tv: having a satellite dish and/or cable tv. Both of which have a monthly charge. Additionally, both ways will offer internet services so you can use your laptop/PC.

Page 5 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top