Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2021, 07:13 AM

Five portions or Five Colours.

Hi

We all know about the five potions a day.

In ITU, I had a dietician before release.

Five colours a day is better than 5 portions.

Forget about fruit juice, eat the fruit.

Get as many different colours of natural fruit and veg as possible inside you.

Make your own soups and smoothies, far better for you than anything you can buy.

Good Advice and very easy to follow.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2021, 07:24 AM

Re: Five portions or Five Colours.

I agree with making your own fresh food...at least you know what's it in it, rather than too much salt/sugar/thickeners that go into the ready made bought things. I bought a smoothie once that was so thick I couldn't suck it up the straw...defeats the whole idea really!
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2021, 07:57 AM

Agree. BUt even more simply..

Eat only fresh food. Don't eat anything that is processed.

A bit of fat is fine but minimise sugar and salt as much as possible. YOu can have it..chocolate, crisps etc. Just in strict moderation.

Be a vegetarian if you want but get good dietician advice for it.

Never over eat.

That's it for me.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2021, 07:59 AM

We were taught that in school swims...a good meal is a colourful plate not so easy for me right now without a proper kitchen
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2021, 08:21 AM

Eat food which is as close to nature as is possible, that is the best way all round I believe.

All these additives are for two reasons only I reckon. First to preserve food so that the shelf life is longer, which means more profit for those who sell the food. Secondly sugar, in different forms, is added to encourage a habit that means our brains tell us more of that food is wanted. Sweetness stimulates the pleasure centres of the brain to want more, hence the current obesity problems. This is also why, when we are unhappy or bored, we tend to eat more (comfort eating) and usually it's sweet foods or the foods that are not good for us. I think that is also why there has been a big increase in diabetes, which is a 'modern day' problem.

All the above means more profit for those who supply the food or drink. Like many other things in modern day life it's greed (for money) which is fuelling the need for additives in our food which is not good for any of us.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2021, 09:32 AM

Making you own food is fine for people who are retired & I am sure many of us do make our own but......
for younger people ready made food and processed food is a much easier option! Many young families eat "easy food" and I suspect that many are losing the ability to cook from fresh... how sad when fresh food offers better nutritional values & the fresher it is the better it tastes.

I remember when my dad had a big garden and grew his own veg, which was picked just a couple of hours before it was cooked and it tasted so good. Perhaps if we stopped importing so much food, to make sure Supermarkets made bigger profits , we would all be a lot healthier if we ate seasonal veg that is grown in our own countries.
If we all eat healthier food it may also save a lot of money for the NHS too!
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2021, 09:34 AM

Profit might be one reason preservatives are put in food but they also give a longer shelf life. Without them, some foods would go bad more quickly and have to be thrown out sooner, so leading to even more food products being dumped than there already is.

I have no qualms about eating processed food with preservatives and other stuff in them but also eat lots of fresh fruit and veg., all different colours.

I often think I'm lucky to sit in front of a plate of Aunt Bessie's ready-made oven chips and Birds eye Chicken Chargrills (followed by fruit) when populations of the World are so very short of any kind of food. I'll bet they wouldn't mind being given a portion or two of processed food. We are so very fortunate to be choosy about what we should and shouldn't eat.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2021, 08:48 PM

The perfect solution :

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/rainbow-pizzas
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2021, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
Profit might be one reason preservatives are put in food but they also give a longer shelf life. Without them, some foods would go bad more quickly and have to be thrown out sooner, so leading to even more food products being dumped than there already is.

I have no qualms about eating processed food with preservatives and other stuff in them but also eat lots of fresh fruit and veg., all different colours.

I often think I'm lucky to sit in front of a plate of Aunt Bessie's ready-made oven chips and Birds eye Chicken Chargrills (followed by fruit) when populations of the World are so very short of any kind of food. I'll bet they wouldn't mind being given a portion or two of processed food. We are so very fortunate to be choosy about what we should and shouldn't eat.
Good post.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2021, 09:30 PM

I hope this doesn't come across as racist, but how many people grew up being told to finish everything on their plates because "there are people starving in Africa who would love to eat that, so get it eaten!"?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top