Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2021, 04:35 PM

Re: Warming the oven?

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
So warming the oven eh.... a bit like do you take off your make up before you go to bed. Something that is prescribed by experts but totally unnecessary in real life.

Or is it? You can try to convince me that warming the oven makes a blind bit of difference and I will become a disciple.

However, I can confirm through experience that not taking your make up off before bed does not age your skin! Plus food made in a previously cold oven tastes great
Why tho would you not want your skin to breathe using the night or even why would you even want to go to bed in makeup ?
As for warming the oven .This is to get it at the correct temperature needed to begin cooking .It was impressed upon me during domestic science lessons at school which I never fail to put into practice .
Would you put a cake mix into a cold oven ? Or anything else for that matter Annie ?
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2021, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
I can only surmise that those not preheating ovens do not bake.
Or make Yorkshire puddings
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2021, 07:35 PM

Steak in the oven? Not tried that before. How long should it be in for?
I'm talking about the complete fillet ..

10 mins for searing

10 mins in the hottest oven

5 mins to rest

It looks like this (and all you need to add in advance is crushed black pepper corns):

AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2021, 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
Or make Yorkshire puddings
This is true, i have never made yorkshire pudding. Yorkshire puddings & lighting the BBQ are a man's job in my experience.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2021, 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
I'm talking about the complete fillet ..

10 mins for searing

10 mins in the hottest oven

5 mins to rest

It looks like this (and all you need to add in advance is crushed black pepper corns):

Oh I see! I thought you meant a steak on it's own. I had no idea you could cook something this size so fast? Roast beef is something I avoid cooking after a traumatic experience where it went horribly wrong. (bad memory)
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

11-07-2021, 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by Zuleika ->
Why tho would you not want your skin to breathe using the night or even why would you even want to go to bed in makeup ?
As for warming the oven .This is to get it at the correct temperature needed to begin cooking .It was impressed upon me during domestic science lessons at school which I never fail to put into practice .
Would you put a cake mix into a cold oven ? Or anything else for that matter Annie ?
My skin doesn't need to breathe I guess as my lungs do all the work. the worst thing a woman can do at night is wash her face with soap and water. It strips away the natural oils.

I don't tend to believe everything I read or am told. I guess I am a rebel. I might change my mind about warming the oven if I were to make a souffle which I have never tried. However, I suspect that I may live out my days without having that unique experience.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2021, 09:04 AM

I can't imagine what Yorkshire Puddings would turn out like putting them into a cold oven...yuk!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2021, 09:45 AM

I do bake and it always turns out perfect. In fact not warming the oven hasn't made any difference all these years to my culinary output nor has it led to upset tummies. I wonder how much it has saved on bills.
I think I should be the judge of that Annie.....Self praise is no recommendation! ....
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

11-07-2021, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I think I should be the judge of that Annie.....Self praise is no recommendation! ....
Haha who said it was self praise?! I've just made sunday lunch for the family with audible sighs of delight. No oven warming before those potatoes went in for roasting! It's all down to technique and adaptation.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2021, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by summer ->
I can't imagine what Yorkshire Puddings would turn out like putting them into a cold oven...yuk!
Yep ... get the oil/fat smoking, open oven door, quickly pour in cold mixture, shut door asap.

= toad in the hole.

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top