Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2019, 04:40 PM

Sloe Gin

Didn't know where to put this, it is not really diet or nutrition?

Just wanted to say I went for a lovely ramble across the fields with my pooches today, and found loads of Sloe's growing.

My son loves my Sloe Gin, so I shall make some as another stocking filler for him this Christmas.

I have also made Sloe Vodka, Blackberry Brandy and Strawberry Vodka in the past, but only do the Sloe Gin now - too much faffing about.

Does anyone else make things from the hedgerows?
Last Tango
North Ayrshire, Scotland
Last Tango is female  Last Tango has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2019, 05:48 PM

Re: Sloe Gin

Made sloe gin last year, Mups - it was much appreciated by its recipients at Christmas.
I have also made sherry too in the past ..... hic
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2019, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Didn't know where to put this, it is not really diet or nutrition?

Just wanted to say I went for a lovely ramble across the fields with my pooches today, and found loads of Sloe's growing.

My son loves my Sloe Gin, so I shall make some as another stocking filler for him this Christmas.

I have also made Sloe Vodka, Blackberry Brandy and Strawberry Vodka in the past, but only do the Sloe Gin now - too much faffing about.

Does anyone else make things from the hedgerows?
Post us the method and recipe Mups?

Regards Donkeyman!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2019, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
Post us the method and recipe Mups?

Regards Donkeyman!

Will do.

I'll dig it out for you tomorrow.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2019, 10:09 PM

Do you need any special equipment Mups?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

16-09-2019, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Do you need any special equipment Mups?

Not really, only one or two of those preserving jars with the metal thingy you pull down to tighten the lids, and a bit of muslin or cheesecloth to strain the fruit off the liquid.

Oh, and a bottle of cheap Gin to pour the Sloe's into.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2019, 10:15 PM

Not really, only one or two of those preserving jars with the metal thingy you pull down to tighten the lids, and a bit of muslin or cheesecloth to strain the fruit off the liquid.
I don't think I have ever tried Sloe Gin, is it like regular Gin?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

16-09-2019, 10:17 PM

I don't think I have ever tried Sloe Gin, is it like regular Gin?

Hard to describe taste isn't it, because we all have different taste buds.
I suppose it is rather like a lovely reddish/purple liqueur type Gin but you can adjust the sweetness to suit your pallete.

Don't glug it down though, as it is pretty potent because it is almost neat gin after all.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

16-09-2019, 10:20 PM

Hard to describe taste isn't it, because we all have different taste buds.
I suppose it is rather like a lovely reddish/purple liqueur type Gin but you can adjust the sweetness to suit your pallete.

Don't glug it down though, as it is pretty potent because it is almost neat gin after all.
Sounds lovely. Assuming it's possible to buy sloes in the shops, I might have a go also. I only really drink at Christmas so it should be ready just in time.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

16-09-2019, 10:26 PM

Sounds lovely. Assuming it's possible to buy sloes in the shops, I might have a go also. I only really drink at Christmas so it should be ready just in time.

Never seen sloe's in shops
You could maybe make some strawberry brandy before the strawberries finish, otherwise?

I can let you have the recipe if you want.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top