Join for free
Page 3 of 23 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2020, 08:52 AM

Re: Bike ride

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Good on you mart, moved my bike to the side of the house in preparation, was thinking of an E Bike, but, that is a big decision, bit like the decision to move from a conventional House to a Bungalow.
I notice e-bikes being advertised on the tele-shopping programmes sometimes. There was one I saw that looked good. More or less like an ordinary bike. The battery was integrated into the frame so that it didn't show, like it is on my e-bike. It was about £800, which is a lot less than I paid for mine. Prices vary a lot but I think if I didn't already have an e-bike, I'd have been tempted by that one.

Then again, maybe best to buy local in case of faults. Mine had one that took a few goes to put right. Inconvenient enough to keep taking it back but at least the shop is only a few miles away. It would have been a right pain if I'd bought via the Internet.

Moving to a bungalow? Not going upstairs to bed feels a bit strange at first but you soon get used to it. Maybe a step in the right direction.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2020, 08:58 AM

Got an E bike on Ebay watch, finishes in a couple of hours, could be tempted, I prefer I think, the ones with external battery's, is the integrated battery removable/serviceable?
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2020, 09:04 AM

This is my old hack, when I have finished my cuppa, I will go and do a couple of miles, I'll let you know how it goes.

Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2020, 09:05 AM

There are so many Ebikes being advertised now. I don’t think I have room foe yet another bike. (Still got 5). There are also conversion kits that some are more expensive than a ready to go Ebike.
To convert my Brompton which I would not do, is almost £1000. I do like the conversion that replaces the front wheel with the motor built into the wheel.
I have been looking at these electric scooters. My neighbour has one and I had a go. The speed and range on them is impressive.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2020, 09:15 AM

That sounds a lovely outing Mart I bet you feel better for it.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2020, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Got an E bike on Ebay watch, finishes in a couple of hours, could be tempted, I prefer I think, the ones with external battery's, is the integrated battery removable/serviceable?
Yes, that's the case with my bike. I think replacement 'in frame' batteries might be something to ask about if buying one like that. The battery on my bike is completely removable and locks back into place. It needs a Yale type key to remove it.

I've had the bike for two years now. The battery is charged up fairly frequently and still holds a charge OK.

That's a sturdy bike you have there. I read the trend for mountain bikes is for the solid front forks again. I think I know why too. If going down a steep hill off-road, the suspension can compress and send the rider over the handlebars. I've felt the danger of that happening once or twice.

Originally Posted by Emjay ->
There are so many Ebikes being advertised now. I don’t think I have room foe yet another bike. (Still got 5). There are also conversion kits that some are more expensive than a ready to go Ebike.
To convert my Brompton which I would not do, is almost £1000. I do like the conversion that replaces the front wheel with the motor built into the wheel.
I have been looking at these electric scooters. My neighbour has one and I had a go. The speed and range on them is impressive.
These can't be used anywhere yet can they?

Originally Posted by Meg ->
That sounds a lovely outing Mart I bet you feel better for it.
It was Meg. It took about 10 minutes for me to feel better after doing it.
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2020, 10:55 AM

There are so many of the Escooters about now that I think it would be difficult to apply the law to them. The ones that are rented it would seem have the right to be ridden whatever the law is.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2020, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by mart ->
These can't be used anywhere yet can they?
Apparently not, unless they comply with the existing legislation or are rentals.

Out here in the 'rural sticks' they can be seen in common use, people use them to get around in the lanes and roads between villages. A little disconcerting when rounding a bend in a narrow country lane to find one of these in front of you though. Quick reactions and good brakes are a necessity!

Most of the information about using these can be found on the links below:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48106617

https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/ar...u-need-to-know

https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/buying...aw-uk-3668712/
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

17-07-2020, 02:21 PM

Talking about those Electric Scooters, I was taking the dog a walk a couple of weeks ago, in the next street I saw a geezer wheeling a scooter out of his garage. On a corner a few metres further down the road I started to cross the road and just noticed the geezer out the corner of my eye, approaching me silently at around 15MPH, I stopped just off the gutter as he whooshed past, I then proceeded and then came another Whoosh, it was his bloody missus an another scooter, sorry she shouted.

Did 5 miles on the bike this morning, very enjoyable it was, I had forgotten just how good the thumb and index finger gear change is.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

17-07-2020, 04:34 PM

Got this body camera a while back, might rig it to the bike and put a couple of videos on.

Page 3 of 23 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top