Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2021, 12:44 PM

Re: Is your car E10 petrol-ready?

Originally Posted by Dachs ->
For those who'd welcome more arguments for not using E10, I just read a study this morning saying that bioethanol is likely to damage the fuel vapour restraint system of a car. This activated charcoal filter will have to be inspected regularly and be replaced at 80,000 miles. Prices starting at 30 quid.
All of this to 'save the planet', while China and others heavily undo what very little change we can make!
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2021, 02:57 PM

An update from this in The Telegraph says that today the government will anounce that all petrol stations will sell E10 Petrol, which is 10 per cent bioethanol, as the standard from September - and that the current E5 "will be sold as the more expensive super grade and available at the majority of petrol stations."

"The switch will add around 1.6 per cent to all drivers’ fuel costs because E10 is less efficient, meaning drivers will have to buy more per mile, the AA said."

"The move to E10 was welcomed by the National Farmers Union, which anticipates a boost to the UK’s wheat and sugar sectors to supply the fuel.

The Government said the move would boost job opportunities in the North East, including the re-opening of manufacturer AB Sugar’s Vivergo plant in East Ridings."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/environm...t-filling-car/
OLDDOOD
New Member!
UK
OLDDOOD is male 

16-04-2021, 03:49 PM

Not sure if this is helpful, but I saw that MCC had an E10 compatibility checker where you can enter a car's number plate: https://www.mycarcheck.com/e10
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2021, 04:53 PM

My new motor mower instruction book tells me not to use E10 petrol because it will knacker the engine up (Honda 147cc). E5 petrol is OK to use though.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2021, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
My new motor mower instruction book tells me not to use E10 petrol because it will knacker the engine up (Honda 147cc). E5 petrol is OK to use though.
It just shows how you are going to have to check though, as I've said, E5 should be available for some time (years?) yet.

I see that the E10 rollout is due to start soon with "summer" being publicized.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2021, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
All my small engines say only to use unleaded (ie not E10) I think part of the problem is that ethanol has a great affinity for water which is no problem if the fuel is regularly changed/used like a car but deadly for small engines used only occasionally.

Having said that I inadvertently ran one of my generators on E10 for a couple of years because I didn't read the manual and it seems to have suffered no lasting damage.

My Mitsubishi Colt ran fine on E10 for the 6 years I owned it.

E5 has never been available here.

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top