Join for free
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2021, 07:00 PM

China EU trade deal collapsed?

It was Merkel’s last deal as EU Council president: Shortly before the deadline in December 2020, Chancellor Merkel concluded the investment agreement with China. Now it has fallen through – because of the sanctions that Brussels and Beijing are imposing on each other.
For Merkel, this is a serious setback. Just recently, she had courted trust in bilateral talks with the Chinese leadership. No one is as economically dependent on China as Germany.

Faced with mutual sanctions, the environment*“is not favorable for ratification of the agreement at the moment,”*said Commission Vice President Valdis Dombrovskis as he announced the halt. You can’t ignore*“the larger context,”*he said.

That’s cute – because the EU created that context itself. It kicked the dispute with China off the fence with its new human rights sanctions, imposed a few weeks after the investment agreement.

There was no compelling reason for this. After all, the violations of Uighur rights that the EU wants to punish have been known for years. No one forced Brussels to pick a fight now, of all times.

Or maybe it is? What is clear is that the new Biden administration in the US is trying to position the EU against China. It is also clear that this is supported by the Greens in the European Parliament.

When the Chinese leadership then issued its counter-sanctions, targeting (Green) MEPs as well, it was clear that the agreement was clinically dead. The EU Parliament would no longer ratify it.

The EU (and Germany) thus lost the chance to better secure its investments in the Middle Kingdom. After all, that was what it was all about – and not free trade, as has been erroneously reported time and again.
Germany
7779311 is male  7779311 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2021, 07:51 PM

Re: China EU trade deal collapsed?

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
It was Merkel’s last deal as EU Council president: Shortly before the deadline in December 2020, Chancellor Merkel concluded the investment agreement with China. Now it has fallen through – because of the sanctions that Brussels and Beijing are imposing on each other.
For Merkel, this is a serious setback. Just recently, she had courted trust in bilateral talks with the Chinese leadership. No one is as economically dependent on China as Germany.

Faced with mutual sanctions, the environment*“is not favorable for ratification of the agreement at the moment,”*said Commission Vice President Valdis Dombrovskis as he announced the halt. You can’t ignore*“the larger context,”*he said.

That’s cute – because the EU created that context itself. It kicked the dispute with China off the fence with its new human rights sanctions, imposed a few weeks after the investment agreement.

There was no compelling reason for this. After all, the violations of Uighur rights that the EU wants to punish have been known for years. No one forced Brussels to pick a fight now, of all times.

Or maybe it is? What is clear is that the new Biden administration in the US is trying to position the EU against China. It is also clear that this is supported by the Greens in the European Parliament.

When the Chinese leadership then issued its counter-sanctions, targeting (Green) MEPs as well, it was clear that the agreement was clinically dead. The EU Parliament would no longer ratify it.

The EU (and Germany) thus lost the chance to better secure its investments in the Middle Kingdom. After all, that was what it was all about – and not free trade, as has been erroneously reported time and again.
I am afraid that I fail to see how this is against Brexit. Could you assist me?
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2021, 08:44 PM

Re: China EU trade deal collapsed?

Originally Posted by 7779311 ->
I am afraid that I fail to see how this is against Brexit. Could you assist me?
What brought us brexit? One factor is the delivering on expectations british people had of the EU. For a long time there has been a debate on the democratic deficit of the EU and the few opportunities for citizens participation.
The above is an example of this. The repression of the uighurs has been going on for years. Citizens all over europe have been protesting about this. Now (on the insistence of biden) the EU moves against china. Not because their citizens protests but because a big shot keaders orders them.

Is that a reason for leaving the EU like the british did? NO. If you want things to change, you have to stay in. Prove for that?

The conference on the future of europe is about to commence. It starts with an open invitation to citizens to actively participate. Not a referendum with yes or no, an open invitation.

If only brexit would not have happened. I'm sure the ideas of british citizens would have been an important contribution to improve the EU organisation.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top