Join for free
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2021, 12:07 PM

Rich Sweet Pastry (Pâte Sucrée)

Yesterday, l wanted to make a raspberry tart with raspberries covered in red gel and blobs of cream on the top!

In the past, l have cheated and bought a ready-made Sweet pastry base. As this was on the spur of the moment, l found a recipe, it must’ve been American as the measurements were in ‘cups’! Grrr.

It said to use ‘All purpose flour’ that l took to be plain flour?
Butter, powdered sugar, (icing sugar?) one egg yolk, vanilla and milk.

After mixing it, l put it in the fridge for half an hour. it still broke up as l rolled it out but l did a quick repair job and it was ok!
The tart was lovely but l did find the pastry to be ‘unusual’, l suppose, slightly ‘cakey’!
Today, l ate the last of it and l think the pastry has improved overnight!!

What l would like to know, do you have a different recipe for rich sweet pastry suitable for tarts as l l’m not sure if l am so keen on the one l used?
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2021, 01:04 PM

Re: Rich Sweet Pastry (Pâte Sucrée)

Sounds blimming delicious, whatever the pastry!
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2021, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
Sounds blimming delicious, whatever the pastry!

Yes Jazzi, naughty but nice!

My friend gave me a big bag of frozen beautiful huge dark red raspberries out of his garden and he was coming for dinner. I had to think of a quick pudding to have after the lamb dinner, so l found the pastry recipe that wasn’t so quick as l had envisaged!

Luckily, l always keep sachets of Green’s red gel in stock that l usually use when l do a strawberry tart.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2021, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Yes Jazzi, naughty but nice!

My friend gave me a big bag of frozen beautiful huge dark red raspberries out of his garden and he was coming for dinner. I had to think of a quick pudding to have after the lamb dinner, so l found the pastry recipe that wasn’t so quick as l had envisaged!

Luckily, l always keep sachets of Green’s red gel in stock that l usually use when l do a strawberry tart.
I usually keep quick jel too, if I buy the sponge flans and get strawberries and cream.
DianneWoollie
Deux Sevres. S W France
DianneWoollie is female  DianneWoollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2021, 06:34 PM

I made a French Apple Tart just a a couple of weeks ago and that was with Pate Brisee which is a butter sweet pastry
It was so tasty it is hard to offer anything else now to Husbands pudding desires. Can make a lemon meringue pie from scratch now since moving to France as some ready helpful packets you just cannot get locally..Custard Powder is another one..can make it but it is a lot of flapping about...this pastry is sticky and a floured board is a must, rest the pastry for an hour after making and leaving it in flatish ball shape.
This makes two tarts 4 decent sized portions from each tart and 1 can be kept in the fridge for about 5 days if there is say 2 of you, but get it to room temp before attempting to roll it out.
275 grams of all purpose flour/plain flour
225 grams of butter
2 teaspoons of caster sugar
pinch of salt
1 egg beaten
1 tablespoon of water if needed...likely not.
flour salt sugar in a bowl or electric mixer bowl and cut butter into cubes and add them, then hand or machine mix in before adding the beaten egg. heap together as best you can and beforehand flour your board and try and place, but unsticking your clean hands from the pastry is normal. Once it hits the flour all good to shape and rest. A glass of wine is handy during this mix.Well any cooking really..hic hic.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2021, 08:47 PM

Art I always use shortcrust for sweet tarts, I don't like sugar in pastry.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top