Join for free
Page 2 of 16 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2021, 12:00 PM

Re: e-Scooters

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
The main problem is in relation to danger to other road users and pedestrians. Maybe having speed restrictions applied to them might help a bit, but I suspect the problem is pretty much insurmountable.

As an aside, putting my usual idea of cars/vehicles having GPS speed restrictors inbuilt to limit their capabilities so that it's impossible to break a speed limit and also potentially reduce the need for speed bumps, I've often wondered why cars don't at least have speed restroctors which prevent them travilling above 70mph.

What is the point of owning a car which has an upper limit of eg 180mph when it should (in theory) never be acceptable to reach this speed?
I've often wondered the same. After all, isn't that the legal maximum speed on our roads?
Of course, exceptions could be made for police and other emergency vehicles.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2021, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
I think they're bloody dangerous, especially around here, as they tend to be ridden by brain-dead teenage morons who shoot up and down changing from road to pavement at will and bugger anyone in the way. It wouldn't be the first time I've seen a gang of them zipping between cars on a busy road as if in some kind of competition.

These devices aren't cheap, so no doubt their indulging parents (usually dole-claiming types) buy them for their feral offspring. As they are used (illegally) on the roads, they should be liable to some kind of licencing linked to the user and a permanent identification mark on the scooter itself. If the rider of a scooter is stopped by the police, the mark on the scooter can be scanned and linked to the rider. If not registered, the scooter should be removed and be destroyed/crushed. Only under threat of having their precious toy taken from them, will riders begin to act sensibly.
I agree. The same could be said about bicycles which are also not identifiable in the case of misuse on the roads.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2021, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
She was riding an e-scooter?
She was. She said she wanted to try it because they never had things like that when she was a kid. She referred to herself as old, but she couldn't have been more than say, 60. She was just a cheeky mare, if I'm honest.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2021, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
She was. She said she wanted to try it because they never had things like that when she was a kid. She referred to herself as old, but she couldn't have been more than say, 60. She was just a cheeky mare, if I'm honest.
You didn't give her a Glasgow Kiss then?
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2021, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
You didn't give her a Glasgow Kiss then?
No I did not! She was likely to give me one for daring to question her nasty behaviour!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2021, 12:55 PM

E Scooters are illegal in NSW and most states except Queensland and ACT, only electric bicycles are legal as far as I know. Having said that I think the police turn blind eye to their use, I see a number of kids going to school on them

Fit a mower engine to a bike or a scooter however and you will be charged with a range of offences from driving an unregistered vehicle and uninsured vehicle among them - they cracked down on them big time.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2021, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I agree. The same could be said about bicycles which are also not identifiable in the case of misuse on the roads.
Absolutely.

You might recall the Manchester bike scheme (akin to the Boris Bikes in London) which sadly fell apart all too soon for a variety of reasons. These bikes had GPS trackers embedded within them to aid location as well as identify the distance covered by the user for billing purposes.

Cars can be identified via ANPR for breaches in use.

It would be of some value if new bikes had similar identification methods (eg an embedded device built into the frame) which would at least pick up on jumping red lights.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2021, 01:10 PM

The problem for me, and others, is the near silence of them and the speeds. Same with most cycles. Get a bloody bell!!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

23-06-2021, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
Absolutely.

You might recall the Manchester bike scheme (akin to the Boris Bikes in London) which sadly fell apart all too soon for a variety of reasons. These bikes had GPS trackers embedded within them to aid location as well as identify the distance covered by the user for billing purposes.

Cars can be identified via ANPR for breaches in use.

It would be of some value if new bikes had similar identification methods (eg an embedded device built into the frame) which would at least pick up on jumping red lights.
Bearing in mind just how many I have seen doing that, they'd make a mint!

The thing is that cyclists, or at least many of them, have come to realise that they are not subject to any laws or rules of the road.
If the selfish ones want to kill themselves that doesn't concern me in the least. However, they are quite likely to cause damage, injuries or even fatalities to other road - and pavement - users.

Many of them now go about with a camera stuck on the top of their head, ready to record misbehaviour of motorists, but are quite happy to misbehave themselves with impunity.

Remove any consequences to bad behaviour and those who indulge in bad behaviour will have a field day.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2021, 01:54 PM

It's a curiosity that proof of age is required to buy booze or ciggies and that there is no legal way to buy a whole raft of drugs and many chemicals, but anyone can buy a chain saw, bike, scooter or even a car without anyone bothering to check whether the buyer or intended user has any idea on how to use them safely and in accordance with laws/regs.

Page 2 of 16 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top