Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2021, 09:53 AM

Re: Brown or Red?

Originally Posted by Danny ->
OK never have I felt like more of a Yank. I guess that red sauce is ketchup. What the hell is brown sauce and HP?
Calling it Brown or Red is more of a Northern thing in the UK, I would say. Us more refined Southerners call it Tomato Ketchup or HP sauce.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2021, 09:54 AM

Brown for bacon (when I ate it before), and Red for chips.
Danny
Denver, CO
Danny is male  Danny has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2021, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
Brown for bacon (when I ate it before), and Red for chips.
By chips I take it you mean French fries otherwise it would have been "crisps" (what we refer to as chips) and that sound nasty.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2021, 10:02 AM

By chips I take it you mean French fries otherwise it would have been "crisps" (what we refer to as chips) and that sound nasty.
Ahh yes, of course...french fries to you! But we have sauce flavoured "chips" over here Danny, so no need to add anything to them.....apart from a wastebasket. They are vile!
Danny
Denver, CO
Danny is male  Danny has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2021, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
Ahh yes, of course...french fries to you! But we have sauce flavoured "chips" over here Danny, so no need to add anything to them.....apart from a wastebasket. They are vile!
I have gotten away from "chips" or crisps atm. As well as my favorite food which the pandemic proved that over usage was indeed bad, but come on that's a big sacrifice, I mean giving up your favorite snack. Unfortunately, they have about a million calories each and are responsible most of the weight I gained during lock down.

No sauce required!
Bathsheba
Devon, UK
Bathsheba is female  Bathsheba has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2021, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Calling it Brown or Red is more of a Northern thing in the UK, I would say. Us more refined Southerners call it Tomato Ketchup or HP sauce.
I'm with you here. Unless, of course, it's Daddies Sauce instead of HP
Bathsheba
Devon, UK
Bathsheba is female  Bathsheba has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2021, 02:49 PM

Well not really, not quite. We have French Fries too, but they are skinny little things, really quite nasty in my opinion. What we usually mean by chips are the thick cut ones, sometimes called steak cut. Nice chunky ones, perfect with fried battered fish, or a piece of steak or gammon.

Danny
Denver, CO

14-07-2021, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Bathsheba ->
Well not really, not quite. We have French Fries too, but they are skinny little things, really quite nasty in my opinion. What we usually mean by chips are the thick cut ones, sometimes called steak cut. Nice chunky ones, perfect with fried battered fish, or a piece of steak or gammon.

Yes our French fries take many shapes. We still call the thick ones either Home Fries or Steak Fries. Now I'm hungry damn it!
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2021, 03:53 PM

For me it has to be Daddy's, I can't abide tomato ketchup, on bacon or sausage sarnies unless there's a fried egg as well. In that case, no sauce thanks because, as Pixie said, it takes away the taste of the egg yolk.
Chillie6
Bristol UK
Chillie6 is male  Chillie6 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2021, 04:54 PM

Brown sauce for me on fried breakfast, bacon or sausage sarnies.
Ketchup on fish and chips

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top