Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2021, 02:05 PM

Re: Shingles vaccine.

Below is C&P of remark made by friend on facebook.

So - could it be a US reject?

No
I was offered it and looked it up on the internet.
The one we’re being offered is no longer used in the USA and doesn’t sound particularly effective.
Contrary to what I was told, it is NOT a one off.
They probably got it cheap from the US or somewhere else it was being chucked out!
Roj Blake
London,UK
Roj Blake is male 

15-07-2021, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by carol ->
Below is C&P of remark made by friend on facebook.

So - could it be a US reject?

No
I was offered it and looked it up on the internet.
The one we’re being offered is no longer used in the USA and doesn’t sound particularly effective.
Contrary to what I was told, it is NOT a one off.
They probably got it cheap from the US or somewhere else it was being chucked out!
But surely all drugs in the UK must be approved by NICE first.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2021, 02:27 PM

Having suffered ophthalmic shingles back in the late 1990s, I would take the jab. As Keezoy rightly points out, the pain is unbearable. I had to visit Moorfields eye hospital for 11 months, with steroid and other drops, all that time. They did regular eye screening to make sure all inflammation had gone down. The pressure in the eye was double the normal. I was told by Moorfields I was hours away from suffering permanent eye damage! I credited the locum GP in my surgery who saw me on Christmas Eve and sent me straight there with a letter, and an accurate diagnosis, for saving my sight.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2021, 03:08 PM

I had a small patch of shingles appear on my torso a couple of days before a routine doctor's appointment (back when you could get them ). I asked what this itchy little patch was, he said shingles and prescribed a week's course of strong antiviral tablets which were the size of gob-stoppers. I had to take 5 per day! The shingles cleared up but I still get the occasional itch where the patch was.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2021, 04:18 PM

We had our shingles vac a few years ago. Mr Mags had two bouts of shingles previously and he suffered a lot.

I personally would recommend it after seeing it, also I once had an Aunt who had shingles in her eyes which left her temporarily blind for weeks.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2021, 04:21 PM

Thanks everybody. I think I'm persuaded.

I'm going to ring the surgery & book.
DianneWoollie
Deux Sevres. S W France
DianneWoollie is female  DianneWoollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2021, 04:28 PM

Good Carol, just know a close friend how suffered the Shingles all around his middle and he really did get a lot of pain and the itching he said was bad as well...I had never heard of a vaccine for Shingles, so good to know this now.
DianneWoollie
Deux Sevres. S W France
DianneWoollie is female  DianneWoollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2021, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
I have shingles right now and i tell you its the pits. So vaccinate!
Just checked your profile for where you are..Sydney how lovely..Guess you might get Aveeno Range of Ointments and Creams also as they contain Colloidal Oatmeal which is a real soother and moisturise's also. Gentle as ok for 3 months upwards babes as well.

Its Johnson and johnson by the way..hoping you get some relief, sometime soon...
paula
scotland
paula is female  paula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2021, 07:14 PM

Hubby had his a couple of years ago, but i've never been offered it , I would take if I was offered it..shingles seems to be a very painful illness
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.

16-07-2021, 11:46 PM

I've made an appointment.
Tony & I for for the vaccination a week tomorrow.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top