Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2019, 11:43 AM

Austerity?

What a load of bull.
Some bright spark who obviously has no idea what they are talking about says that austerity between 2012 and 2017 has been responsible for the death of 130,000 lives.
Austerity? Some of us lived through world war 2 and know what austerity is so I suggest they either read the history books or keep their trap shut.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2019, 12:26 PM

Re: Austerity?

I can't speak for numbers I do know the measures they put in place have left people with so little money to live on they have gone without food or had to go to food banks. Personal experience is with a neighbour of ours we are still supporting because her benefit keeps getting sanctioned. When we initially got involved this lady who has worked for 40 years was made unemployed when she had an operation on her back ( her spine is dreadfully twisted) and couldn't return to her manual job. We found her in our communal bin area looking for food she had one banana her mum had given her which had to last until she got her next £7.76 payment the following month.

We help her read her forms (she can't read) and despite the people being told to ring her not to send letters they still 18 months on are sending letters. This is why she gets sanctioned.

She failed her latest fitness tests because she could walk to end of the corridor, she was holding the wall on one side bent almost double obviously in great pain. But she is able they say to work a 40 hour week. IMO it's a complete disgrace.

I know 3 people who died fighting for the money they should have been getting. Did austerity kill them ? it didn't help them live the last few months of their lives with cancer in peace it left them worried about their wives worried about whether their children would have a home to go home from the hospital to. Disgusting behaviour for a rich country like ours. No sign of caring for our disabled.
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2019, 01:13 PM

What is austerity?
During WW2 people had to live on a weekly ration of
Bacon & Ham 4oz
Butter 2oz.
Cheese 2oz
Margarine 4oz
Cooking fat 4oz.
Milk 3pints
Sugar 8oz
Tea 2oz
And of course there were other items of foodstuffs that were unavailable at any cost.
That is what I call 'austerity.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2019, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by big ben ->
What a load of bull.
Some bright spark who obviously has no idea what they are talking about says that austerity between 2012 and 2017 has been responsible for the death of 130,000 lives.
Austerity? Some of us lived through world war 2 and know what austerity is so I suggest they either read the history books or keep their trap shut.
I agree. Things didn't improve much in the 50s either - no food banks to fall back on then. We had to make do with what we had.
big ben
United Kingdom

02-10-2019, 02:03 PM

I think a lot of the trouble today is caused by ourselves. If things do not go to plan we tend to turn to others for help instead of trying to knuckle down and put things right. We give up too easily. We all tend to blame someone else for our woes.
For instance if a piece of equipment goes wrong do we try to repair it? No, we throw it away and buy a new piece.
Modern technology has turned us all into softies.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2019, 02:12 PM

From my perspective what has gone wrong is we don't respect and care for our disabled, our widows and widowers, our elderly. We are a selfish society thinks everyone should do for themselves.

Back when you talk about we had communities. When my granddad was temporarily blinded the community fed and helped my nan with her two little children. These days who actually helps anyone else ? who looks out for the disabled the elderly etc. ?
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2019, 02:22 PM

IMHO one way of seeing how austerity has hit is to look at the amount of waste is produced. From my own (anecdotal) experience, there hasn't been a decline in the number of trips to the local tip from people, which suggests that they have sufficient funds to replace items which could have been repaired cheaply, or have decided to buy new items just for the sake of it.

I have no idea of how the amount of food wastage has changed over the last few years. In theory, if austerity has been hitting home, then one would assume that this would have declined significantly.
Xandra
United Kingdom
Xandra is female  Xandra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2019, 03:07 PM

It is quite ridiculous to compare austerity now with wartime eighty years ago.
The current lot in power are responsible for Universal Credit and the suffering that some choose to disbelieve or ignore.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2019, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Xandra ->
It is quite ridiculous to compare austerity now with wartime eighty years ago.
The current lot in power are responsible for Universal Credit and the suffering that some choose to disbelieve or ignore.
But previous Labour governments are responsible for the need for Universal Credit (which is still far too high) and the need for Austerity measures which did not go far enough and were suspended far too soon.
Vaniy
Spain
Vaniy is male  Vaniy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2019, 04:47 PM

Xandra Back during the second World War there were no hand outs

You wanted a doctor you paid and people were not paid to stay at home with any sort of credit you worked end of

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top