Join for free
Page 10 of 50 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 20 > Last »
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2020, 06:30 PM

Re: Covid new strain.

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Just goes to show you.....

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/t...n-b440466.html

Why, I wonder. hasn't a travel ban been placed on Denmark and the Netherlands, who also have the new variant?
The New Variant is widespread but it's the different testing protocol adopted by the UK and Denmark that has resulted in it being detected by the UK and Denmark that have resulted in it being picked up here and Denmark.

Now that the Frog unions have become involved Macron has got the message.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2020, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
The New Variant is widespread but it's the different testing protocol adopted by the UK and Denmark that has resulted in it being detected by the UK and Denmark that have resulted in it being picked up here and Denmark.

Now that the Frog unions have become involved Macron has got the message.
Yes, I did read that with some relief this afternoon AT. Even the Transport Union boss questioned why, if Macron is so worried about the health of his citizens, is he still allowing one way traffic to flow from France to GB? The French Union is calling the travel ban 'nonsensical'.

It is so obvious to all that Macron is doing it for political reasons regarding Brexit. And, of course, the Lemmings follow suit. I really hope he gets his just reward along with with that piece of scrum, Verhofstad, who had the gall to smirk over our travel ban.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2020, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
Not true.

"The new strain can be traced to South America eight months ago"
"Studies show that the mutation, called N501Y, was spotted in the South American country (Brazil) in April, before later rearing its head again in Australia and the US."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/202...l-last-spring/

N501Y, is one of the 17 mutations on variant B.1.1.7. What about the other 16 mutations?
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2020, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Reality1 ->
Typical Torygraph. Didn't see any evidence because there won't be any and I'm not paying to read that drivel.
So they are saying it was spotted in Brazil one of, if not the worst COVID managed country on the planet 8 months ago.
Never really spread there but got to Kent in the last couple of months and spread like wild fire and now the world are blaming the UK unfairly?
In a nutshell, yes.
Fear causes people to act irrationally.

More kicking the player instead of the ball, I see.
Forget who reports what; put your blinkers aside if you can.
Because if you're determined to ignore not only the WHO and respected scientists from other countries as well as here in the UK (who are, I will remind you, the world's leading authority in genome sequencing of Covid-19 ) then it becomes obvious that it's your bias talking and nothing else.

You must find that restricting your knowledge in such a manner is a severe drawback.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2020, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
N501Y, is one of the 17 mutations on variant B.1.1.7. What about the other 16 mutations?
Feel free to write to the source or to the scientists involved and ask them.
I'm sure that the WHO for example will give you the reply you deserve.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2020, 07:38 PM

Feel free to write to the scientists involved and ask them.
I thought perhaps you might know where all the others came from given you posted about one. The original virus in China has mutated a number of times since January. That doesn't mean there's any link between a single mutation and the current "variant" strain we are grappling with here.
Zaphod
Lincs UK

22-12-2020, 07:40 PM

I thought perhaps you might know where all the others came from given you posted about one. The original virus in China has mutated a number of times since January. That doesn't mean there's any link between a single mutation and the current "variant" strain we are grappling with here.
The report clearly says that N501Y is one of 23 mutations, not 16.
It might help if you read what's reported before asking questions which you might well find have already been answered because it explains the link very clearly.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

22-12-2020, 08:12 PM

The report clearly says that N501Y is one of 23 mutations, not 16.
It might help if you read what's reported before asking questions which you might well find have already been answered because it explains the link very clearly.
I said 17.

I can only read what you've quoted without registering. There are also six "silent" mutations so perhaps that's the difference. But perhaps you can explain the origins of the other 22 then?!
Zaphod
Lincs UK

22-12-2020, 08:28 PM

I said 17.

I can only read what you've quoted without registering. There are also six "silent" mutations so perhaps that's the difference. But perhaps you can explain the origins of the other 22 then?!
Me?
I have no desire to contravene the conditions surrounding such published materials.
So no and if you cannot find what you seek yourself I will refer you to my previous response:
Feel free to write to the source or to the scientists involved and ask them.

I will not be held responsible for the self-imposed restrictions others might face in obtaining information.
Nor will I subject myself to legal and/or copyright arguments by pasting swathes of information from other sources because of the self-imposed restrictions faced by others.
Like many publications, The Telegraph has a free introductory period for those who would like it by asking here:
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/customer/subscribe/
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2020, 08:28 PM

Right now the only mutation that appears to be having the most damaging impact is the one that entered the UK first to Kent and from there spread along the slime trails.

Page 10 of 50 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 20 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top