Join for free
View Poll Results: What do you want to happen by end of year?
Deal 3 14.29%
No Deal 15 71.43%
Extension of transition 3 14.29%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Page 22 of 31 « First < 12 20 21 22 23 24 > Last »
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2020, 05:16 PM

Re: Deal before Year End?

That seems to cover the most salient points.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2020, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
That seems to cover the most salient points.
It seems to - and it seems fair enough to me at that.

Our seas are our own but the EU gets access that reduces over 5 years which gives British fishermen time to rebuild their industry; it looks like a sensible compromise in return for what we gain if the wording contains no potentially damaging EU weasle-word restrictions or clauses.

It looks promising although - of course - both sides have to "spin" it as a victory for them.
As such I suspect that extremists at either end of the Brexit spectrum won't be happy but - at first sight - it does seem to be a very good outcome for the UK.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2020, 05:39 PM

Here's what Nigel Farage just said on Sky News:

"I would need to see the detail and would not want to be bounced into voting for it in a couple of days having not read it. What I think parliament should do is have a vote in principle and then in the new year, go through it detail.

In principle, given where we are right now, given that this has been the most divisive issue in British politics for three decades, if this brings some peace and some stability, then yes in principle I would [vote for it]."

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...e-news-updates
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2020, 05:49 PM

From what I have heard the deal looks 'ok' .
We can't expect 'perfect' it doesn't exist.

I am happy that at long last the voters will be in charge of the law makers and can kick them out if they choose.

Time to accept where we are, move on and be optimistic about new opportunities which I sure will open to us in the years ahead .
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2020, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
Them plus Nigel Farage & the ERG.

Combine that lot with whatever noise the vociferous remainers make and we should be able to judge.
I see Sturgeon's already grumbling, which is a good sign.
I also see Theresa May is in favour of of the deal, which is a bad
sign !!

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2020, 06:16 PM

Not perfect by any means. I would have preferred no deal.

As for fishing, after five years we are entitled to 75% of our own fish. I would have preferred all of it.
Now what about the fish in EU sea areas. How much of that are we entitled to?

Finally, there has been no mention of the £39 billion ransom payment.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2020, 06:18 PM

Just watching Starmer waffling and wittering on, on the news. He actually had the gall to say ''When Labour get into power in 2024 etc!!!!'' The idiot still doesn't realise that Labour will be in the wilderness for the next few decades.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2020, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Just watching Starmer waffling and wittering on, on the news. He actually had the gall to say ''When Labour get into power in 2024 etc!!!!'' The idiot still doesn't realise that Labour will be in the wilderness for the next few decades.

He isn't the sharpest tool in the box, is he?

I think that, if this deal turns out not to have any hidden stumbling blocks, that Boris might be sure of retaining a Conservative majority in 2024.

If he then abolishes the House of Lords, the Supreme Court and the compulsory TV licence, there's a very good chance he and his party will be in power for many more years afterwards.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2020, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
It seems to - and it seems fair enough to me at that.

Our seas are our own but the EU gets access that reduces over 5 years which gives British fishermen time to rebuild their industry; it looks like a sensible compromise in return for what we gain if the wording contains no potentially damaging EU weasle-word restrictions or clauses.

It looks promising although - of course - both sides have to "spin" it as a victory for them.
As such I suspect that extremists at either end of the Brexit spectrum won't be happy but - at first sight - it does seem to be a very good outcome for the UK.
I don't trust them, especially the Frogs. When the time comes, they will renege on the deal and carry on regardless..
Zaphod
Lincs UK

24-12-2020, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
I don't trust them, especially the Frogs. When the time comes, they will renege on the deal and carry on regardless..
Given their tone in the latter stages, if that does indeed come to pass I would expect such outcry that extreme measures to counter those actions would be the response.
As in siezing ships together with huge fines, with the support of the EU as a bonus.

Page 22 of 31 « First < 12 20 21 22 23 24 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top