Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2021, 09:31 PM

Re: The Wishing Tree

Originally Posted by JBR ->
What an excellent story!

Your penultimate paragraph puts me in mind of what used to be my local park as a child: Bowling Park in Bradford.

Today, however, it is a shadow of its former self. Run down, graffitied, dirty and full of rubbish despite the presence of rubbish bins. Rather like the city of Bradford in general.
I imagine it's a common story. On a personal level, we can afford things we could once only dream of, but as a society, we always seem to be strapped for cash.

I don't know Bradford very well, but I have driven through it a few times. It has some very impressive architecture; surprisingly impressive, actually. It was obviously once a very prosperous place.
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2021, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
He never came back down, you never saw him again, why didn’t you inform the police?
We might posibly have informed the police. If it turns out that we did, I'll come back and tell you what happened.
Harbal
South Yorkshire

04-01-2021, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
Enjoyed that . A good story to retell my granchildren
Be careful not to put them off climbing trees.
Harbal
South Yorkshire

04-01-2021, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by Fruitcake ->

I was an avid tree-climber.
Apple trees were my favourite, we didn't have avids in my neighbourhood.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2021, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by Harbal ->
We might posibly have informed the police. If it turns out that we did, I'll come back and tell you what happened.
That doesn’t make sense.

Made up story,
Harbal
South Yorkshire

04-01-2021, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->

Made up story,
Creatively remembered, Pauline.

JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2021, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by Harbal ->
I imagine it's a common story. On a personal level, we can afford things we could once only dream of, but as a society, we always seem to be strapped for cash.

I don't know Bradford very well, but I have driven through it a few times. It has some very impressive architecture; surprisingly impressive, actually. It was obviously once a very prosperous place.
There used to be a lot more until the council pulled them down in the '60s. That also includes my old junior school, now replaced by cardboard boxes!
Yes it once was prosperous, but things change I'm afraid. My mother-in-law still lives there!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2021, 12:06 AM

Harbal me old mate. I know that tree..... I should do, I lived at the top of it, along with 12 others until I was 50. I only came down to buy a laptop so I could join the forum.
Harbal
South Yorkshire

05-01-2021, 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
There used to be a lot more until the council pulled them down in the '60s. That also includes my old junior school,
They demolished my old junior school. I hated to see it go; I get so nostalgic about things like that. I think the thing I least like about getting old is seeing things change.
Harbal
South Yorkshire

05-01-2021, 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Harbal me old mate. I know that tree..... I should do, I lived at the top of it
Is Steve still up there? If you go back, would you ask him if he's still got my penknife?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top