Join for free
Page 6 of 8 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 >
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2021, 10:06 PM

Re: A cure for sibo ????

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
Good grief. That is a list of what I practically live on. (Except for goji berries, eggplant, tomatillos, soy, and sweet potatoes.)
I am going to do it, but it will be a horrid experience. I think that I will do a complete fast for 2-3 days before I start the elimination diet.
I wouldn't recommend fasting or an elimination diet without seeing a dietician who has your full medical history. It's not such a big deal when you are in your twenties. But after 50 it's a risk to undertake anything like this without a doctor's advice. Altering your blood sugar is a serious matter over 50.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2021, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I wouldn't recommend fasting or an elimination diet without seeing a dietician who has your full medical history. It's not such a big deal when you are in your twenties. But after 50 it's a risk to undertake anything like this without a doctor's advice. Altering your blood sugar is a serious matter over 50.
Ah. I had not thought of that. certainly going on a 3 day fast would dramatically lower my blood sugar level.
I just found out that my clinic does not have a registered dietician. I was able to email the social worker and she is going to help me get an appt with my primary care physician.
I am still taking the Yakult every day as someone suggested. No positive results yet.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2021, 12:27 AM

You could try rotating the excluded foods. Say give up eggs/all dairy for a week and see if that changes anything. Then gluten the week after etc. Sugar / yeast another week. That way you won't be at such risk of low sugar.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2021, 07:16 AM

You could try rotating the excluded foods. Say give up eggs/all dairy for a week and see if that changes anything. Then gluten the week after etc. Sugar / yeast another week. That way you won't be at such risk of low sugar.

Oh, I like that much better. Seems like I'd have a greater chance of adhering to that kind of diet. Also, much, much less stress on me. The greatest stressor would have been not only giving up my food, but ALSO giving up my cooking which is really the only thing I have left that gives me joy. My entire world revolves around cooking. Believe it, or not, but many days I wake-up with a specific taste in my mouth and I don't get out of bed until I know what I need from the market to make that specific dish. Only then do I make my morning coffee and write down my grocery list if I don't already have it on hand.
My ex used to describe me to her friends by saying, "Where Ric is … good food is". Ha Ha
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2021, 10:20 AM

Well that’s just about it Bakerman .
You will have to weigh up your choices .
Carry on as you are or change your eating lifestyle .
If you love cooking could you volunteer at some homeless shelter or something like that and cook them a meal .
There is nothing wrong with cooking it’s the [B]eating [B] bit that followed
bakerman
Mexico

15-01-2021, 01:36 PM

3rd day of eating bananas, white rice, apple sauce, and sliced peaches. Can't imagine a blander diet than that.
Appt with my PCP Monday Jan 25th
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

15-01-2021, 05:29 PM

3rd day of eating bananas, white rice, apple sauce, and sliced peaches. Can't imagine a blander diet than that.
Appt with my PCP Monday Jan 25th
I thought you were planning to try excluding just one type of food at a time Bakerman?

The diet you describe would send me to sleep because of the high blood sugar load. Brown rice can be good for the gut and has a higher glycaemic index. Takes forever to cook though. Just wondering whether you have tried eating arrowroot porridge for the tummy trouble? It's a good remedy.
bakerman
Mexico

15-01-2021, 08:24 PM

I thought you were planning to try excluding just one type of food at a time Bakerman?

The diet you describe would send me to sleep because of the high blood sugar load. Brown rice can be good for the gut and has a higher glycaemic index. Takes forever to cook though. Just wondering whether you have tried eating arrowroot porridge for the tummy trouble? It's a good remedy.
yes, I am, but thought I'd give the gut a chance to rest and maybe reduce inflammation BEFORE I start the elimination diet.

never saw any arrowroot porridge in any U.S. market.

Pre and pro-biotics arrived in my U.S. mail box today. 60 billion live cells /capsule. May not help but can't hurt.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

15-01-2021, 08:38 PM

Arrowroot is a thickening agent used in cooking and it is more popular in the US as it's sourced from Central America. You can buy it off the shelf in the supermarket here next to the gelatine, baking powder and other home baking ingredients. However, most people here don't traditionally use it as a cure for diarrhoea. You just mix it with water or flour in a pan for a couple of minutes in the same way you'd start a basic sauce. Once it thickens to a sticky custard you eat it like a pudding. It tastes quite nice and settles the stomach. It's not a cure all but can help temporarily relieve symptoms.

https://www.encyclopedia.com/plants-...ants/arrowroot

"Arrowroot, which belongs to the Marantaceae plant family, is widely considered an easily digested and nutritious starch. The herb is extracted from the fleshy roots, called rhizomes, of the arrowroot plant through an elaborate process of washing, peeling, soaking, and drying in the sun. The end product is a fine, white powder with the same appearance and texture as cornstarch. Arrowroot is valued by herbalists primarily for its demulcent and antidiarrheal properties. Exactly how it produces its therapeutic effects is not known. The chemical composition of the herb has not been thoroughly investigated."
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2021, 09:08 PM

yes, I am, but thought I'd give the gut a chance to rest and maybe reduce inflammation BEFORE I start the elimination diet.

never saw any arrowroot porridge in any U.S. market.

Pre and pro-biotics arrived in my U.S. mail box today. 60 billion live cells /capsule. May not help but can't hurt.

Good grief Bakerman, you don't believe in taking things step by step, do you.
My probios are 10 billion, and even that is double what I used to have!

Page 6 of 8 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top