Join for free
Page 20 of 42 « First < 10 18 19 20 21 22 30 > Last »
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2021, 10:45 PM

Re: Foxy's Latest Project.

Originally Posted by Minx ->
Found the generous soul - of course it had to be Visitor!
Great bloke Minx, and made me very welcome when I visited....Had times been different we would have had a lot to discuss....
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2021, 03:30 AM

Do you remember Steptoe and Son? There was an episode where one of them threw the house keys into the scrapyard in a fit of pique.
After a while they both realised they needed to find the keys again, so Albert had the bright idea of digging out a piece of kit to help with this.
You then see him with an old WW2 Mine Detector set, saying it would soon find the metal keys.
Harold then pointed out that the whole scrapyard was full of metal.

Ah, the classics.

We used a lot of O-Scopes at work. When I first started there were banks of twin-beam scopes to look at signals being recorded on 14 and 28 track magnetic tape tape. Later we went to more but smaller single beam scopes, and used anything up to two 42 track tapes in an artic-trailer.
Then it all went digital so scopes and frequency analysers appeared on banks of pooter monitors instead.

Do you have a signal generator to set your scope up?
We used Levell Decade Oscillators but later went to fancy multi-function signal generators that could produce just about any waveform you liked, and even sweep a frequency output from 0 to 20 kHz.

I'm assuming you've got a decent multimeter or two. I've still got my Fluke 73.

Do you need something that reads frequency as well?

... and there's me, a mechanical enginerd talking electronoids, or borax as it is otherwise known.

Truth be told, I wouldn't have a clue how to do what you are doing, or anything at all about electronics. Anything beyond Ohms law is a Black Art as far as I am concerned.
I'd take my hat off to you but my bonce would get cold then.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2021, 08:00 AM

Same here Fruitcake, I wouldn't have a Scooby Doo. My Old Man was an electrical wizard but, it was hard to tune in to his wavelength.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2021, 11:28 AM

How clever you are Foxy
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2021, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
How clever you are Foxy
Thanks Muddy, but I couldn't draw and paint like you....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

15-01-2021, 11:48 AM

I might risk a visit to the workshop today Fruitcake.....Brrrrrrr, and post some photos of my equipment....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

15-01-2021, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Same here Fruitcake, I wouldn't have a Scooby Doo. My Old Man was an electrical wizard but, it was hard to tune in to his wavelength.
We do tend to go off on one occasionally Spitty....Electronics certainly excites me....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

15-01-2021, 11:52 AM

Breaking News!

I'm expecting a delivery of some bits for the Detector today....
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2021, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
We do tend to go off on one occasionally Spitty....Electronics certainly excites me....
That depends on where you apply the, ahem, device surely.
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2021, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Breaking News!

I'm expecting a delivery of some bits for the Detector today....
Progress !

Page 20 of 42 « First < 10 18 19 20 21 22 30 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top