Join for free
Page 4 of 28 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 14 > Last »
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2021, 05:36 PM

Re: Thank God We are Out of the EU ...

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
Richard Branson's Virgin Space has already proved the concept and put satellites into orbit: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-55699262

Wasn't there a rumour doing the rounds some time ago that our spaceport could be built on mainland Scotland rather than on Shetland?
I've seen about Branson's first real test.

Rumours are just that Percy, rumours.
The Shetland Space Cenre however is reality, with its' own website too.

https://shetlandspacecentre.com/news/
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2021, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
I've seen about Branson's first real test.

Rumours are just that Percy, rumours.
The Shetland Space Cenre however is reality, with its' own website too.

https://shetlandspacecentre.com/news/
Why is Branson sending spacecraft into space now when just 6 months ago he was wanting the government to bail out his airline ?

Have I missed something ?
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2021, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
Why is Branson sending spacecraft into space now when just 6 months ago he was wanting the government to bail out his airline ?

Have I missed something ?
Yes.
Virgin Atlantic (the airline) is 51% owned by the Virgin Group and 49% by Delta Airlines of the USA.
Airlines globally are facing difficulties and are seeking financial support from governments, regardless of what other pies the airlines owners have fingers in.
Not every (in some cases not any) part of large corporations is necessarilty profitable and neither can sums of money just be swapped around between different businesses within such corporations.
There are indeed very strict laws about such things.

That's business.

Virgin Orbit (the aerospace bit) is only 33% owned by the Virgin Group.
The majority is owned by the Emirati Mubadala Investment Company which is (to all intents & purposes) an Emirati sovereign wealth fund.
As such and being the majority shareholder I should imagine that their priority would be to progress towards profitability ASAP.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2021, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
Yes.
Virgin Atlantic (the airline) is 51% owned by the Virgin Group and 49% by Delta Airlines of the USA.
Airlines globally are facing difficulties and are seeking financial support from governments, regardless of what other pies the airlines owners have fingers in.
Not every (in some cases not any) part of large corporations is necessarilty profitable and neither can sums of money just be swapped around between different businesses within such corporations.
There are indeed very strict laws about such things.

That's business.

Virgin Orbit (the aerospace bit) is only 33% owned by the Virgin Group.
The majority is owned by the Emirati Mubadala Investment Company which is (to all intents & purposes) an Emirati sovereign wealth fund.
As such and being the majority shareholder I should imagine that their priority would be to progress towards profitability ASAP.

He could buy Virgin Atlantic shares with the money in his Virgin Atlantic company or offer it a loan.
Zaphod
Lincs UK

18-01-2021, 07:44 PM

He could buy Virgin Atlantic shares with the money in his Virgin Atlantic company or offer it a loan.
I don't want to sound rude, but I'm pretty sure that Richard Branson knows what is best for his companies.

(Or at least that he can afford the best advisors in the world.)
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2021, 08:22 PM

Thank God We are Out of the EU ...
Yes, things are going great; provided you like chaos. I know it's early days, but I haven't yet heard anyone talking about how much better their life is now we're out, but those who are finding it a problem seem to increase in number daily. Just an observation.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2021, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by Harbal ->
Yes, things are going great; provided you like chaos. I know it's early days, but I haven't yet heard anyone talking about how much better their life is now we're out, but those who are finding it a problem seem to increase in number daily. Just an observation.
Yes indeed. Project Fear is still alive and kicking, but I don't worry about that.

Personally, I hear that things are improving all the time, what with new trade deals and Brexit opening up new opportunities for our own businesses rather than those in the EU.

Other EU countries are talking about leaving as well, and there's a good chance that they'd want to ally themselves with us regarding trade.
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2021, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->

Personally, I hear that things are improving all the time, what with new trade deals and Brexit opening up new opportunities for our own businesses rather than those in the EU.
I believe a contingent of lorry drivers from the Scottish shellfish industry are presently driving around Central London honking their horns in a demonstration of appreciation of Brexit.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2021, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by Harbal ->
I believe a contingent of lorry drivers from the Scottish shellfish industry are presently driving around Central London honking their horns in a demonstration of appreciation of Brexit.
Oh, I bet that Krankie is throwing a party!
Harbal
South Yorkshire

18-01-2021, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Oh, I bet that Krankie is throwing a party!
I think it is more of a wake.

Page 4 of 28 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 14 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top