Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2021, 04:08 PM

Re: Living near Family Members

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
Do you live near your family members?

Is it a good thing?

What are the positives or negatives, living close to them?
As the patriarch of my family, I have no complaints and always welcome all of those who live close or fairly close to my home.
The only negative the above entails is that the bank of Mum & Das is always open, but hey, what are parents for
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2021, 04:10 PM

One of the reasons we moved here was to be closer to our grand nieces who we used to see about once every 3 months or so. They and our niece live about 10mins away.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2021, 04:10 PM

Fruitcake, it speaks well of you your family the you have such an agreeable setup.

In Hawaii, ohana (family) houses are a common design in which a house has two identical levels top and bottom. That enables one generation to live on top and the other below.
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2021, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Fruitcake, it speaks well of you your family the you have such an agreeable setup.

In Hawaii, ohana (family) houses are a common design in which a house has two identical levels top and bottom. That enables one generation to live on top and the other below.
That's interesting. I can just imagine a family argument ending in someone shouting, "I'm going home" followed by a door slamming and then the stomping of someone going up or down stairs.

In some cultures, moving elderly parents/grandparents in with their family is the norm, expected even, whereas in others it is sometimes the opposite with people expecting the state to provide.

Of course it is not always possible to provide a home for your parents due to many reasons.

In our case we are lucky to be able to do it. We have the space and the finances to allow us to modify the house. A lot of mobility aids have been provided by the state, but it is still cheaper for the government to support us than it is for the state to pay for a care or nursing home.

The biggest factor though is that we want my Outlaws here, so looked for ways to make it happen rather than find reasons not to do it.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2021, 04:43 PM

My daughter lives about 20 mins away but I’ve had no close contact with her since last March when she took us out for a meal on my birthday. Since then she has strictly adhered to the government virus rules so she doesn’t put us at any risk. We just see her very occasionally when she will come and chat with her outside the garden gate. We haven’t been in each others houses in all that time.

My son lives in Wales and we haven’t seen him since March either. We chat regularly on the phone though.

My brother lives in Italy and it is years since I last saw him.

I long for the day when things will get back to something like normal.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2021, 05:01 PM

My kid and his little tribe is about 3500 km away and step daughter 3000 km. About the right distance in both cases!

Only a few hours to travel in both cases but too far for casual visits. Ideal!
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2021, 06:46 PM

I have 2 daughters & a son who all live round me and I like it that way.
During the first lock down they all took their turn in shopping for us and seeing that we were alright.

During this lock down they call to see if we're ok & my two girls & Ady & Paula have been going walks with me.

They help us out in numerous situations - from sorting my smartphone out for me to mediating with the neighbours on our behalf.

Once a garage tried to rip us off and Ady & Paula went storming into the managers office demanding fair treatment for us.

We got it too. Paula, bless her, you could knock her over with a feather duster but she was banging her fists and shouting at this man. She is a very special daughter in law - she's very fond of us as we are her.

All my kids are good with Tony (as some of you know he has alzheimer's) & will come to visit him or take him a little walk if I want to go out with friends. I only have to say the word & they're there.

I'm sorry for anybody who doesn't live near their family but I guess it's a matter of adjusting.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2021, 06:57 PM

We have 5 children who could have stayed local but life has lead two of them into living abroad. six of the ten grandchildren live in distant places. I would have preferred them all to stay local but things haven't worked out that way.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2021, 07:31 PM

I have never had family living close and I so wish I had . I am from a large family that is separated by many miles and dont bother to stay in contact even though I've tried many times . My sister is 120 miles away but we speak regularly on the phone . She and I are close . The other siblings aren't interested sadly .

My son is 75 miles away and my daughter 30 miles . So I have never known what it's like to have close contact . I wish I had
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2021, 09:05 PM

It just crossed my mind:

I know this is mostly an anonymous forum, but I hope you all will be careful about saying so if you are living alone without a lot of family/support nearby. I don't want anyone coming across as vulnerable.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top