Join for free
Page 6 of 28 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 16 > Last »
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2021, 04:55 PM

Re: Thank God We are Out of the EU ...

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
And at least 14 of the drivers have been fined for the pleasure of doing so https://metro.co.uk/2021/01/19/seafo...test-13926979/

In the actual paper version, the article goes on to add that some of the companies' IT is so old it can't handle the new "paperwork" and one truck was turned back because the driver's documents stated the load was of "GB origin" rather than of "UK origin". Now, to me, what the difference between GB and UK is, I've absolutely no idea because I've always used the 2 interchangeably.
UK includes Northern Ireland, GB does not - I use them interchangeably too.

This is a problem on the Scottish side though - the SNP are the ones behind this failure, the rest of the UK has got things sorted. A bit of common sense is what's needed, the SNP fail every time.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2021, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
Exactly, Zaphod.The SNP have been slowing down exports deliberately.

Their single policy of independence is far more important than their businesses or economy. After all they will just come cap in hand to Westminster as usual.

The SNP should try doing their job for a change.
You know, I'm getting more fed up with the SNP than I am with the EU.

They're having some sort of elections this year. If the SNP continue to receive the same sort of support from the Scottish people, I think the best thing we could do would be to push for Scottish independence.

If we could achieve that, I'd be really interested to see who the whingeing Scots complain about then. Fortunately, if they're independent, the only people they could possibly complain about would be themselves!
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2021, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->

They're having some sort of elections this year. If the SNP continue to receive the same sort of support from the Scottish people, I think the best thing we could do would be to push for Scottish independence.

If we could achieve that, I'd be really interested to see who the whingeing Scots complain about then. Fortunately, if they're independent, the only people they could possibly complain about would be themselves!
I doubt that JBR. Pound to a penny, they'd start complaining about us ALLOWING them to hold another indyref.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2021, 05:13 PM

And at least 14 of the drivers have been fined for the pleasure of doing so https://metro.co.uk/2021/01/19/seafo...test-13926979/

In the actual paper version, the article goes on to add that some of the companies' IT is so old it can't handle the new "paperwork" and one truck was turned back because the driver's documents stated the load was of "GB origin" rather than of "UK origin". Now, to me, what the difference between GB and UK is, I've absolutely no idea because I've always used the 2 interchangeably.
They're both correct in this instance. The one is a geographical term and the other political.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

19-01-2021, 05:15 PM

I doubt that JBR. Pound to a penny, they'd start complaining about us ALLOWING them to hold another indyref.

True. The expression used to be "The Brave Scots". Now it's becoming "The Whingeing Scots".
(With apologies to the non-whingeing Scots!)
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2021, 05:20 PM

As I've pointed out before, the trouble is that you only hear from the vocal minority.

The SNP have got quite enough problems of their own ATM and Sturgeon is rapidly heading towards disgrace.
For more than one reason, too.
Combine that with a resurgent UK while EU-land flounders and you'll see more and more Scots suddenly regain their sensibility.
Scots know when they're on to a good thing despite the few shouty types that get the publicity.

True. The expression used to be "The Brave Scots". Now it's becoming "The Whingeing Scots".
(With apologies to the non-whingeing Scots!)
Just don't forget that those "whingers" make up a minority.
You never hear from the more-sensible majority.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2021, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
As I've pointed out before, the trouble is that you only hear from the vocal minority.

The SNP have got quite enough problems of their own ATM and Sturgeon is rapidly heading towards disgrace.
For more than one reason, too.
Combine that with a resurgent UK while EU-land flounders and you'll see more and more Scots suddenly regain their sensibility.
Scots know when they're on to a good thing despite the few shouty types that get the publicity.

Just don't forget that those "whingers" make up a minority.
You never hear from the more-sensible majority.

You're right there, Zaphod.

Wee Nippy is burying herself with this its only a matter of time before she has to face scrutiny, then she won't be able too lie her way out of it.
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2021, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
And since when has our media ever reported good news?
You can't get to hear about what they won't publish if you're determined not to look for it.
Inferring that there is good news from the lack of it in the media seems a trifle over optimistic to me.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2021, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Harbal ->
Inferring that there is good news from the lack of it in the media seems a trifle over optimistic to me.
Well personally I would far rather trust the opinions of such as the BoE's Andy Haldane than that of a self-confessed antagonistic keyboard warrior any day.

"BoE's Haldane sees rapid economic recovery from COVID hit"
https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-b...-idUSKBN29O2C4
Zaphod
Lincs UK

19-01-2021, 08:11 PM

I saw this a while ago & I reckon it deserves posting here.
It's about immigration from Hong Kong in light of China's ever-increasing assertion of power there, and a few of our media outlets have covered stories of Kong Kong families arriving here already before the UK's visa offer has even begun.

"Hong Kong residents leaving the city to move to Britain could trigger capital outflows of HK$280 billion ($36 billion) this year from the Asian financial centre, a new report published by Bank of America (BofA) said."

The Bank of America please note, not a UK-influenced source prone to bias.
And where will most of these outflows from Hong Kong be headed?
Yup, to the UK.

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-h...-idUSKBN29J0WM

Here's a BBC report of one family's reasons for moving to the UK:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-55357495

Page 6 of 28 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 16 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top