Join for free
Page 5 of 30 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 15 > Last »
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2021, 07:12 PM

Re: Should I do it?

My garage is at the bottom of the garden & the 'drive' is only a car length long. It faces onto an unadopted road which runs all the length of our house & garden.

Opposite my garage are a row of 4 terraced houses. The bully neighbour lives in one of these.

A few weeks ago a car was just reversing in my drive as I opened my up & over garage door from the inside.

I only just missed hitting that car with my garage door. Who would have been to blame if that had happened I wonder?

The situation might not be so lucky next time.

I guess I could use this as a reason for installing a bollard.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2021, 07:13 PM

I know how it feels to have horrible neighbours. I wonder if having cameras put up by professionals would be a good idea and they would capture him using your driveway and maybe the local police could view it then have a quiet word with him .

What ever you decide I wish you well it's an uncomfortable situation
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2021, 07:15 PM

You need proof, Carol....if he hit your garage door....you need footage of him hitting your garage door...that’s if he ever does hit it.....not sure how a mobile phone footage would stand up.?
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2021, 07:35 PM

An awful situation for you, Carol.
....but to go to all that trouble and expense to install a bollard into your drive for one no-mark, shows him that you’re bothered and that he’s got to you.

A big spend to prove a principle.... Sorry... but he isn’t worth it.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2021, 07:40 PM

I did say in the first post what I intended to do. My bollard installation will go ahead.

I was just interested to know what you'd do in my situation.

Your remarks & advice was interesting. Thanks to all who replied.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.

19-01-2021, 07:42 PM

PS. The man who's fitting it for me is going to make it himself in galvanised steel and install it.

He's quoted me £150. I was well pleased with the price.
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2021, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by carol ->
i want to put a bollard at the bottom of my short driveway to prevent a neighbour using my drive to reverse on.

I don't get on with this man. A few years ago we had a massive row over parking rights. It's too complicated to explain but this bully of a man - middle aged old rocker - bald head - hair long & straggly at the back - covered in tattoos & piercings, enormous belly in tight t shirt (get the picture) man told me if i did what i intended to do (on my own property) he would block me & not let me get out of my garage.

After much bother & looking at deeds it all quietened down eventually, mostly thanks to ady my son who owns the property next door. (flats with car park) he assured the neighbours he would leave the gates to his car park open so they could reverse there.

However, the man who bullied me still uses my drive to reverse his car & i think it's like rubbing my nose in it.

Hence my decision to install a bollard. It might fire him up again. Do i want this? Am i prepared? - not really! He's a great strapping bully & i'm an oap. Tony is no help at all due to his progressing alzheimer's.

Ady of course would come to my help but he isn't there all the time.

I have seen a tradesman this morning about installing a bollard for me. A good heavy one made of galvanised steel and arrangements have been made.

Given the circumstances i wondered what members on here would have done in my situation?

Click image for larger version

Name:	EE62B6AA-FF35-4205-944E-969C7D59759C.jpeg
Views:	66
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	14586

pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2021, 07:49 PM

PS. The man who's fitting it for me is going to make it himself in galvanised steel and install it.

He's quoted me £150. I was well pleased with the price.
Sounds a bit cheap to me...be careful ,because I think that type can be tampered with.as in they will be able to bend it...some also stick superglue in the key part....mine never has to go down....so I don’t have that concern....
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.

19-01-2021, 07:52 PM

All I want is something to deter people using my drive.

Bollards aren't expensive anyway. I've been looking online & you can get one for as little as £45.

This chap has 100% good reviews on my builder.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK

19-01-2021, 07:53 PM

All I want is something to deter people using my drive.

Bollards aren't expensive anyway. I've been looking online & you can get one for as little as £45.

This chap has 100% good reviews on my builder.

Good bollards are expensive.mine was nearly a £1,000

Cheap ones can be brought down....and what will you do if he puts superglue in the key part?

You won’t be able to get out of your drive then will you?

I do hope this installation doesn’t backfire on you, Carol.

Page 5 of 30 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 15 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top