Join for free
Page 13 of 14 « First < 3 11 12 13 14 >
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2021, 01:09 PM

Re: Do you have a strong accent?

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
Funny thing about London?

Where are all of the Cock-a-Knees, these days?

All the passing accents/dialects seem to be Scots, Irish, Northerners, foreign people.

I suspect that potential visitors practice, befoe arrival, by watching Corrie, or Emmie's Dale!

Moved out as far as they can. It's called "White Flight".
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2021, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Minx ->
So, do you speak Italian?
Si signora io parlo Italiano multo bene grazie - but not as well as I used to simply because I don't use it any more. I also speak enough French, German and Spanish to get by on holiday and business trips.
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2021, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
Si signora io parlo Italiano multo bene grazie - but not as well as I used to simply because I don't use it any more. I also speak enough French, German and Spanish to get by on holiday and business trips.

I know enough German to ask for a menu in English.
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2021, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
That’s really cool 😎
Dachs
Germany
Dachs is male  Dachs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2021, 03:18 PM

I was raised in a region where people don't have a strong accent and I have managed not to pick up one of the other accents or dialects which I sometimes have difficulty understanding. I'm glad that several TV stations are using subtitles if necessary.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2021, 03:56 PM

I was born in Stockton on Tees and lived their for 18 years before moving to Sheffield for Uni and then stayed on a couple of years before finally moving down here in Suffolk where I have lived ever since.

I have a slight Yorkshire accent that sounds a bit posh but changes as soon as I go and see my parents in the North East to "full on Smoggy".

weird right ?
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2021, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Minx ->
TAT what non English language do you speak?
I speak Afrikaans but understand Finnish and Dutch. My first language is The Queen’s English
Doesn't SA have 22 official languages Minx ??
How many do you use?
And how many can you name????

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2021, 04:20 PM

Im now told my English is old fashioned.

Funny thing was a few years ago OH and I went to Drenthe to buy a car. I spoke to the guy and arranged a test drive. OH went with him on the drive .
He spoke English with OH he said he didnt mind that but he had real difficulty with my Friesian accent!
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2021, 04:20 PM

I don't have an accent, least not an identifiable one. I have been told its a soft accent and I'm well spoken, but definitely not posh, haha! I do have the weirdest habit of imitating the accent of the person I'm talking to. This can be awkward really because it sounds like I'm taking the mick, but I'm honestly not!
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2021, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
I don't have an accent, least not an identifiable one. I have been told its a soft accent and I'm well spoken, but definitely not posh, haha! I do have the weirdest habit of imitating the accent of the person I'm talking to. This can be awkward really because it sounds like I'm taking the mick, but I'm honestly not!
Ach, ye wee blether!

Page 13 of 14 « First < 3 11 12 13 14 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top