Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2021, 12:53 AM

Re: Living near Family Members

Originally Posted by susan m ->
I have never had family living close and I so wish I had . I am from a large family that is separated by many miles and dont bother to stay in contact even though I've tried many times . My sister is 120 miles away but we speak regularly on the phone . She and I are close . The other siblings aren't interested sadly .

My son is 75 miles away and my daughter 30 miles . So I have never known what it's like to have close contact . I wish I had

Aw Susan. Have you considered moving to live near your son or daughter?

I know several people who have uprooted & done this. I think as you get older you need to be near close family.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2021, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
Do you live near your family members?

Is it a good thing?

What are the positives or negatives, living close to them?
I have many relatives in the UK and Sweden who I am wondering if I will ever see again because of the International borders being closed and my age.

My children and grandchildren live in Sydney (90km away) and Canberra (250km) and while that is too far for casual pop ins I do see them fairly often. Again the pandemic restrictions have affected this, for example recently the ACT border was closed to my area and consequently just my youngest son and I were able to spend Christmas together.

On the positive side these are not big distances, can drive to Canberra in just over two and a half hours and Sydney in an hour - even if I can't drive there is a daily bus and/or train.

Not having them near also means that I am more likely to get approved for a MyAgedCare package when looking after myself becomes more difficult.

Modern communications mean constant phone calls and even video calls if I need to contact them or vice versa. It costs me nothing to ring my brother in the UK for example

I have thought of moving to a rural area like Murrumbateman or even Wagga or Orange but there are probably more disadvantages than advantages.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2021, 06:37 AM

I have one son in Australia I only hope I will see him again in this lifetime although we speak every week
My other family are an hour and a half’s drive away I would like to move closer to them but we never get around to moving .
I saw them in the garden before Christmas .
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2021, 09:00 AM

At the moment I'm an hour away from my daughtee and about half an hour from my son...when I move it will be the other way around daughter will be closer in time although that's only because of good roads.

I'm close to my kids but we don't live in each others pockets although I do speak to them most days and I see them about once a week
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2021, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by carol ->
Aw Susan. Have you considered moving to live near your son or daughter?

I know several people who have uprooted & done this. I think as you get older you need to be near close family.
I did have the house valued and looked at flats near daughter but daughter did say they may move in the future as they wanted a bigger house . So best I stay put . I've lived here 35 years

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top