Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2020, 06:51 PM

Re: Weird Plants.

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Tiff, is Ragweed the same as Ragwort?
If so, I know it is toxic, even when 'dead' if included in hay bales.

This is a very comprehensive and scary list of plants poisonous to dogs, compiled by Dogs Trust.
I will just put the link because there are far too many to type out.

https://www.dogstrust.org.uk/help-ad...bstances09.pdf
No, Mups, Ragweed isn't the same as Ragwort. Different plant alltogether.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2020, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
No, Mups, Ragweed isn't the same as Ragwort. Different plant alltogether.

You sure Tiff?
You probably know more than me, but it says here it's the same family?

https://www.wildfooduk.com/edible-wild-plants/ragwort/
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2020, 07:32 PM

You sure Tiff?
You probably know more than me, but it says here it's the same family?

https://www.wildfooduk.com/edible-wild-plants/ragwort/
I took the plant from here, Mups. The flowers are nothing like Ragwort, though I have had that in the garden.

http://sppaccounts.bsbi.org/content/...isiifolia.html
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2020, 07:46 PM

Guess I'd better pull them up then.
You should re-pot that last one just to do a more thorough check!
Glanny
N.Ireland
Glanny is female  Glanny has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2020, 10:42 PM

I was told ragwort is illegal and people can be fined for growing it on their land as it is poisonous to livestock.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon

04-09-2020, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by Glanny ->
I was told ragwort is illegal and people can be fined for growing it on their land as it is poisonous to livestock.
It grows everywhere, Glanny wild. Most roadside verges have it & it loves pasture. When I was with horses, we used to spend hours quartering the fields & digging it up. It is deadly to most animals if they eat it, but most won't touch it, unless the pasture is bare of anything else, but if it gets into meadow hay it's likely to be eaten then & the horse will most likely die. I have seen a horse poisoned by ragwort & it wasn't pretty.
Glanny
N.Ireland
Glanny is female  Glanny has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2020, 08:09 AM

That must have been awful to see
It was our next door neighbour who told me must be 40 years ago now, about it being very poisonous, she was (is) meticulous about checking for it as they have a lot of horses and also sheep. I always notice it if we are out and about and mentally tut that the landowner needs to sort it
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2020, 08:50 AM

It was our next door neighbour who told me must be 40 years ago now, about it being very poisonous, she was (is) meticulous about checking for it as they have a lot of horses and also sheep. I always notice it if we are out and about and mentally tut that the landowner needs to sort it
The councils are responsible for the verges along the roads,doesn't seem to have been pulled out this year locally along the link road with plenty to be seen,it'll seed with even more next year.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2020, 10:09 AM

It grows everywhere, Glanny wild. Most roadside verges have it & it loves pasture. When I was with horses, we used to spend hours quartering the fields & digging it up. It is deadly to most animals if they eat it, but most won't touch it, unless the pasture is bare of anything else, but if it gets into meadow hay it's likely to be eaten then & the horse will most likely die. I have seen a horse poisoned by ragwort & it wasn't pretty.

Yes, I agree Tiff, dangerous when baled up in hay.

Yew is another one that is very poisonous isn't it.
I remember years ago my old horse was kept in a field next to the cemetery.
There were Yew trees from the cemetery overhanging the fence, and my vet at the time said the Parish council by law have to get it cut back if Yew gets near land where livestock is grazing.
He told me a horse in the next village had just died with the stuff still in it's mouth even!
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon

05-09-2020, 03:35 PM

I have seen fields with horses in them & ragwort everywhere, made me cringe. If they had seen a horse dying from eating it they would soon get rid of it.

Originally Posted by caricature ->
The councils are responsible for the verges along the roads,doesn't seem to have been pulled out this year locally along the link road with plenty to be seen,it'll seed with even more next year.
The council never pull it up here either.

Yes, I agree Tiff, dangerous when baled up in hay.

Yew is another one that is very poisonous isn't it.
I remember years ago my old horse was kept in a field next to the cemetery.
There were Yew trees from the cemetery overhanging the fence, and my vet at the time said the Parish council by law have to get it cut back if Yew gets near land where livestock is grazing.
He told me a horse in the next village had just died with the stuff still in it's mouth even!

Yew is also poisonous as you said, but doesn't as often get into fields.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top